Solved

Reservation on app shows as not required but it was so we were kicked off the train - Refunding money

• 27 July 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi, I have just returned from the trip in North Europe but we had to shorten our journey because we were not be able to get farther than to Oslo. We were kicked off the train because we did not have a reservation of seats and Norwegians do not want to let sitting in the aisle. Interrail app showed us that the reservation is not necessary (“you are already on the board”) for this train but a shop assistant at the train station told us that many people have the same problem because Interrail app shows sometimes false information. We were forced to cancelled our accommodation in Trondheim and come back home because all trains were sold out. Do you think is there any chance to get money back from Interrail, it is obviously their fault. 
Thank you so much for you opinions.

Jachym

icon

Best answer by Angelo 27 July 2022, 15:18

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Which train do you have planted to take? The nighttrain Oslo-Trondheim? This have compulsory reservations. The day train was reservation free, but the new train company that runs the train have now made reservation compulsory. 

The app is not reliable, always check interrail.eu information about a country + the conditions of the train company. The app gets the data from the European Timetable center, wich gets the data from the train companies that runs the trains. When the train companies do not give correct information that it comes to this situations. 

For refund you can ask customer service:

Submit a request – Eurail Knowledge Base 

@AnnaB can you please inform Eurail Team about this problem with trains of SJ NORD, that have now on the route Oslo-Trondheim compulsory reservation, but the app doesn’t show it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@AnnaB can you please inform Eurail Team about this problem with trains of SJ NORD, that have now on the route Oslo-Trondheim compulsory reservation, but the app doesn’t show it. 

I'll inform them. Thanks @Angelo 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

From earlier similar postings I recall this is now also the case for the populair Oslo-Bergen line and the Oslo-Stavanger line-both also taken over by new contractors (I believe one is Go-Ahead, which also runs here in Baden in DE)

Badge +5

There is a lot of engineering work in Norway this August! Please check the Entur website for details. Night trains cancelled between Bodo and Trondheim on some dates and severe disruption between Oslo and Lillehammer on certain dates. Even if you have already reserved, your train may not be running as this engineering work was introduced with very little notice. Do not rely on the Rail Planner App. Entur can handle most compulsory reservations and they email them out. Try ringing them early in the morning or later in the evening to avoid a long telephone call.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thanks for flagging for the late notice. Reservations on the Oslo - Trondheim route are indeed compulsory and this now shows in the app. This change was probably delayed due to frequency of the app updates.