Solved

Reservations needed - Vienna to Prague?

• 5 December 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi everyone,

My family (2 adults, 2 children) and I already have Eurail passes but unfortunately I’m not an experienced Eurail traveller, so I apologise in advance if this is a silly question. We have already purchased and activated the Eurail pass for two days of travel earlier in December.

We will be travelling from Vienna (Wien) to Prague (Praha) on Saturday 30 December 2023, preferably leaving around 10am. From what I can see, most of the trips listed on that day have “Reservations unavailable”. My question is: can we just go to the train station on the day and use our Eurail passes to book whatever seats are available, or does this mean that there are no seats available on those trains anymore?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Rob

icon

Best answer by Al_G 5 December 2023, 05:55

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Reservations are not required on the direct trains on that route but you should get them if you want to sit together. The 09.10 or 11.10 departures are the ones to aim for.

Use www.oebb.at add interrail/eurail as discount for each passenger and search one way tickets NOT seat only. Seats are €3 each in 2nd class or free in 1st class only if you have 1st class passes. Seat selection from a map is available so you should be able to select a table of 4 for yourselves.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Use www.oebb.at add interrail/eurail as discount for each passenger and search one way tickets NOT seat only. Seats are €3 each in 2nd class or free in 1st class only if you have 1st class passes. Seat selection from a map is available so you should be able to select a table of 4 for yourselves.

@Al_G

As seat reservation are optional on this route you can either select "seat only" or add interrail/eurail as discount for each traveller. Both will give the same result. But if you go for the discount way you must make sure that you click the little box that you want a seat reservation. 

Also worth noting, in case you have any trouble with the Austrian Railways' website (oebb.at), that the Czech Railways (cd.cz) site is also very good and allows the same sort of options (yes, it does work in English too!).