Solved

Reserved seats for Bernina Express

• 10 November 2023
  • 9 replies

Using Eurail to book Bernina Express (train PE 952) reserved seats apparently costs $15 (USD).  

But booking reserves seats on the same train thru the Rhätische Bahn website  www.rhb.ch costs CHF 26 ($28.87 USD).  Is this correct??

Will Rhätische Bahn (Bernina Express) honor the Eurail-booked seat reservation?

icon

Best answer by ralderton 10 November 2023, 21:00

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Seat reservations are only compulsory in the Panorama car. There are also regular cars on the train which don’t need reservation. (And they still have big windows with good visibility)

Is it possible that Eurail is offering you a reservation in the regular car (which you don’t need!), while the Rhatische Bahn is selling you one in the Panorama car?

Also note that there are different reservation prices depending on the season.

Would be helpful if you would answer my question.  Or, not respond at all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

WTF? 

Ever heard of ‘thank you’?

What do you think I'm trying to do? I don’t know what you’ve found on the Eurail site. I’m giving a logical explanation for why there might be a price difference.

Buy whatever you like. I don’t care. I’ve got better things to be doing than helping rude, ungrateful strangers on the internet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@raldertonand the other knowledgeable users give a considerable amount of their time for free here to help people like yourself with little or nothing given in return.

The least that should be expected is common courtesy, respect and perhaps even a smidgen of gratitude, not curt, rude responses.

I think that going forward the “Not respond at all” option is the best where you are concerned.

I am aware of the “free” seats in the Allegra units and the paid-for seats in the Panoramic cars - but that info is off-topic.  My question was directed specifically to the difference in cost posted by Rhatische Bahn verses the cost posted by Eurail - $15 as compared to $28+ (depending on season of travel).  Why the difference? This seems confusing/inconsistent - could get me into trouble.  Is this an Eurail error?

You can find a path on the Eurail site to reserve seats on the PanaramaExpress (train PE 952 - same as referred to on Rhatische Bahn) by starting with the “Seat reservations” tab.  Are these two prices for the same or different service/coaches -  I don’t know.   Hence my question.

You responded with “WFT” -- very classy and helpful indeed!  I could have done the same - but asked instead for an answer as I didn’t need the extraneous info you provided.  Perhaps you don't know - I get that. I don’t either.

In closing “Thank you” 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

If you want a definitive answer then ask them.  They run the train.

Why would you have any expectation that they wouldn’t honour the reservation, any more than DB would honour one, or NS, or SNCF or any of the other European carriers?

If you want helpful context and explanations from other travelers then ask here but remember that people can’t read your mind.  This forum is not a travel agency or a paid information system, it’s a community.

Badge

I am aware of the “free” seats in the Allegra units and the paid-for seats in the Panoramic cars - but that info is off-topic.  My question was directed specifically to the difference in cost posted by Rhatische Bahn verses the cost posted by Eurail - $15 as compared to $28+ (depending on season of travel).  Why the difference? This seems confusing/inconsistent - could get me into trouble.  Is this an Eurail error?

You can find a path on the Eurail site to reserve seats on the PanaramaExpress (train PE 952 - same as referred to on Rhatische Bahn) by starting with the “Seat reservations” tab.  Are these two prices for the same or different service/coaches -  I don’t know.   Hence my question.

You responded with “WFT” -- very classy and helpful indeed!  I could have done the same - but asked instead for an answer as I didn’t need the extraneous info you provided.  Perhaps you don't know - I get that. I don’t either.

In closing “Thank you” 

On the Eurail site, the reservation fee is for a 1st class booking in the Allegra car. It's optional (you can board without one if you choose), but does guarantee you a reservation. We're seeing EUR14 for a booking currently in 1st, with 2nd class reservations not accepted (first come, first served).

The Panoramic cars can only be booked through the RB website, and are CHF36 (similar EUR price too).

We're going through the same thought processes and to be honest, I think I'd prefer the Allegra car for a range of reasons.

Good luck with your travels.

Badge

If you want a definitive answer then ask them.  They run the train.

Why would you have any expectation that they wouldn’t honour the reservation, any more than DB would honour one, or NS, or SNCF or any of the other European carriers?

If you want helpful context and explanations from other travelers then ask here but remember that people can’t read your mind.  This forum is not a travel agency or a paid information system, it’s a community.

They'd honour the reservations, but likely only be for 1st class Allegra seating (not in the Panoramic cars).

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Indeed the cheaper Eurail reservation is for the “non Panoramic” section of the Bernina Express :)