Solved

SA citizen, with SA drivers licence and Italian passport as identification (no ID)

• 31 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi!

I am a South African citizen (living in SA), currently in England, however I left my SA passport at my brothers house elsewhere in Europe. I currently only have my Italian passport and my SA drivers license on me. I also have SA police verified copies of my SA passport and ID with me.

I am currently attempting to purchase a Eurrail pass, however I do not have my SA passport with me. Would an SA drivers license, or the copies of my ID & passport be sufficient as proof of identification?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 31 August 2022, 17:57

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Copies of anything are not proof.

An Italian passport is fine as ID for the Eurail pass and to travel, as long as you can show that you live in South Africa. If your SA drivers licence shows an address in SA, then that should be enough.

@rvdborgt thank you so much! 

My SA drivers license does not have a physical address on it, however I have bank statements, etc on email that have my address on them. Would this be sufficient?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

My SA drivers license does not have a physical address on it, however I have bank statements, etc on email that have my address on them. Would this be sufficient?

The best would be a document issued by a government that has your address on it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The simplest solution would be to get your SA passport. Can your brother send it to you? It would need to be by secure, tracked, insured means so a courier, not regular post.

Otherwise, printed documents such as a bank statement would be preferable to just displaying them on your phone.

Unfortunately it is a fuzzy situation as there is no such thing as a standard proof of residency document and people from certain European countries that do issue ID cards often refuse to understand that this practice is not carried out in the majority of the world.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Showing bank-statements as ´proof´ seems common or accepted in GB, but is very UNcommon in EUR-the continent. ID cards are simply a kind of ´basic passpt´-without the pages for stamps, these are only issued to citizens of that country. To those that have permission to stay for a longer period and have a registered adress is nearly always a kind of document issued.

But back to Q; in fact asking for this is very rare-though it seems its more common in some countries as others. I was not asked 1 time for it in my last pass: 10D in 2M-last spring, used in 10 countries, nor yet now, on day 17 of a discount 3-M global