Solved

SE France - pass not accepted & refund for tickets denied

• 6 October 2022
  • 5 replies

We had a great holiday in the summer, but were not able to use our passes on SE France - between Marseilles and Antibes as the ticket office at Lyon said Interrail was not accepted by the local train company. We had to buy tickets totalling 140 euros!!

The app and a subsequent post by a moderator called Claudi said compensation/refund was available. We contacted customer services on our return 5 weeks ago, have sent in the tickets bought on Aug 3 but have just been told that we can’t be compensated and should try the station at Lyon. Can anyone help please?

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 9 October 2022, 13:06

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There is no one in the Community that can help you with this. Only Customer Support can assist.

@Claudi. Can you please help out?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As far as I know, customer service should reimburse you. This was also announced on the Interrail website for a short period, when the French Region had suddenly announced they would not accept Interrail/Eurail anymore (this decision was reversed after a few days).

What was the reason customer service refused to reimburse? Surely, asking you to go back to Lyon is not a reasonable request.

In addition, the normal procedure after having had to buy tickets when you had a valid pass is to request reimbursement from customer service.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

If Interrail customer service told me to go to Lyon to resolve this I would be expecting them to provide a free ticket and cost of accommodation in order to fulfill this requirement.

That’s assuming it was Interrail CS and not SNCF or someone else, the OP was not clear.

We had a great holiday in the summer, but were not able to use our passes on SE France - between Marseilles and Antibes as the ticket office at Lyon said Interrail was not accepted by the local train company. We had to buy tickets totalling 140 euros!!

The app and a subsequent post by a moderator called Claudi said compensation/refund was available. We contacted customer services on our return 5 weeks ago, have sent in the tickets bought on Aug 3 but have just been told that we can’t be compensated and should try the station at Lyon. Can anyone help please?

Dear Alison,

According to the relevant communication, it looks like the additional tickets you had to purchase were for a regional train that actually does not require a Pass holder to have any additional seat reservations. It looks you have been terribly misinformed, since in August there were no restrictions for the Pass holders on Sud PACA region of France (the Pass on TER trains of the region were not temporary suspended in the first days of June and couldn't impact your journey). I'd like to point out, that the app is clearly showing the route Marseille St C - Antibes does not require any additional reservations, unlike earlier train you took from Lyon to Marseille. You should have boarded a train with your Interrail Pass and let the ticket inspector to scan your QR code which was generated by the App for this journey. 

I understand how unfortunate this situation is but based on the above I am afraid we cannot consider a compensation or a refund for these tickets. 

I hope this clarifies. Please let us know if you have any follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Annie

Hi, this has now been resolved and I’d like to thank those that made it happen. We love trains.