Solved

Seat reservation

• 28 July 2023
  • 6 replies

Hello, I have to book a train that says that seat reservations are required. The train i need is very expensive or there are no more seats available. I already have the eurorail pass and i know that there are some trains that is posible to get on without having a reservation and sit on the floor if there are no more seats. My question is: is it posible to get on a train that says seat reservations are required without actually buying the reservation?

icon

Best answer by Mukhammad 10 August 2023, 10:16

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Which train ? You usually can't board a train requiring a seat reservation because there may be ticket barriers before the platform. If you happen to board expect a big fine (it's like travelling without a valid ticket) or get thrown off the train. Frankly don't do that.

If you let us know the day and route we'll gladly give advice and offer alternatives.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If the information is correct that a reservation is required, then that is what it means. You may not even be able to get on the platform.

For more information and possible alternatives, please mention route, date and departure time.

The route would be from Barcelona to Paris on september 19th and any departure time that is available would work

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Then these trains are definitely not full (yet). There is currently a bug on Interrail/Eurail and you cannot book any train at all on this route…

Your best option is to wait a few days (but the bug is here for more than a week...) or to call SNCF : https://www.sncf.com/en/customer-service/contact-us/telephone

The direct TGV costs 35€ (+2€ fee on interrail). If you'd like to save money either take the morning AVE to Lyon for 10€ (book at a Spanish train station) and from there a TGV to Paris (10€ limited fare but pretty much always available on this route).

@Mukhammad any news on this route ? Paris - Barcelona is a very popular route and this question gets asked a few times per day…

Userlevel 1

Then these trains are definitely not full (yet). There is currently a bug on Interrail/Eurail and you cannot book any train at all on this route…

Your best option is to wait a few days (but the bug is here for more than a week...) or to call SNCF : https://www.sncf.com/en/customer-service/contact-us/telephone

The direct TGV costs 35€ (+2€ fee on interrail). If you'd like to save money either take the morning AVE to Lyon for 10€ (book at a Spanish train station) and from there a TGV to Paris (10€ limited fare but pretty much always available on this route).

@Mukhammad any news on this route ? Paris - Barcelona is a very popular route and this question gets asked a few times per day…

Hello! We are looking into it and will update the community as soon as it's taken care of.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hi everyone, I just received the update that the TGV issue has been fixed and now the reservation is live on our reservation page! :)

Please let us know if you can see that it goes fine again.