Solved

Seat reservation is not available for trains from Frankfurt Main to Paris Est

• 27 September 2023
  • 3 replies

I have eurail global pass and I am trying to reserve seat but it shows not available on eurail website. I tried DB webiste to book seat only and it was showing that seats are unavailable. But, when I tried to book tickets through DB website it says seats are available. How do I reserve seats for my trip ?  

Sorry, I am new and I did not know that I had to reserve seats few months in advance. Looking forward for your suggestion. 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 27 September 2023, 17:05

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Which train on what day ?

It is believed that there's a passholder quota on that train linked to the seats quota sold by SNCF. So it's possible that DB is selling tickets while SNCF doesn't.

However please go through the end of the booking process with DB as they can offer "flexi" tickets and then tell you at the end that the train is sold out.

DB cannot sell mandatory reservations even when they (partly) operate those trains.

But don't worry there are loads of alternatives on that route. If you give more info I'll gladly help. :)

Fast/high-speed trains in France, Spain and Italy have mandatory reservations which reduce flexibility by a lot. Most trains are available on the day/the day before but some popular routes (mostly international routes) can sell out earlier, especially on weekends.

I have already purchased Eurail Global Pass - 1st class and I am planning to leave from Frankfurt main on Oct 1 through the high speed train. Now, when I am trying to book my seats, it shows price unavailable - I am assuming their quota has reached to max limit. I am in Europe for one week only so I prefer to go through high speed train. If I can’t reserve the tickets then there is no point of carrying global pass. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

So this train is completely sold out from Frankfurt (even for regular tickets). International routes are very popular and this one is no exception : all cross-border trains are sold out until 18:59. Weekends are even busier so it's no surprise that they're sold out.

However I've found a few alternatives for you :

Option 1 (close to your original plan) :

- ICE Frankfurt (Main) Hbf - Saarbrücken Hbf 10:56 - 13:00 optional reservation*

- stay onboard the same train

- ICE Saarbrücken Hbf - Paris-Est 13:02 - 14:51 a single 1st class seat left (30€)

*Sit on any untaken/unbooked seat. If you don't find any go to the dining car and enjoy a coffee.

Option 2 via Luxembourg :

- RE Frankfurt (Main) Hbf - Koblenz Hbf 09:08 - 10:54

- RE Koblenz Hbf - Luxembourg 11:06 - 13:23

- TGV Luxembourg - Paris-Est 14:10 - 16:31 6€

Option 3 via Offenburg :

- any ICE Frankfurt (Main) Hbf - Offenburg Hbf (optional free reservation through ÖBB)

- any RB Offenburg Hbf - Strasbourg

- TGV Strasbourg - Paris-Est 15:44 - 17:35 20€

Also an option if you're fine with leaving at 5:30-6am. Let me know