Solved

Seat reservations

We have Global Passes for travel in Germany and Switzerland later this summer. When I try to buy seat reservations for the Chur to Zermatt segment of our trip, the online system keeps trying to make me buy new tickets rather than just paying for seat reservations. What am I doing wrong?

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 28 May 2024, 13:31

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In Switzerland, you really don't need any reservations unless you absolutely want to travel with the Glacierexpress or in the panoramic coaches of the Berninaexpress.  Both on the route of the Glacierexpress and the Berninaexpress, there are regional trains that are less crowded and which give better opportunities to make good photos. 

We have Global Passes for travel in Germany and Switzerland later this summer. When I try to buy seat reservations for the Chur to Zermatt segment of our trip, the online system keeps trying to make me buy new tickets rather than just paying for seat reservations. What am I doing wrong?

You didn't tell if you are trying to do a reservation for the Glacier Express or any other train and if you are trying to do a reservation on their own system or anywhere else. 

Anyway if you'd like to do a reservation, it can be done here: https://shop.glacierexpress.ch/gex_de/specials/daytrips/glacier-express.

When you did choose your seats, you may enter your Eurail pass as reduction. Then you'd have to pay just for the reservation. 

It's also possible to pre-order lunch (recommended).

As written before, it's also possible to go by reservation-free regional trains; you'd need to change trains then (Disentis, Andermatt and Brig or Visp).