Solved

SNCF Connect app - short times for connection?

• 6 February 2024
  • 4 replies

On our last leg of our trip, we will be staying in Colmar, France and then heading to Paris. We will have to take a train from Colmar to Strasbourg, and then catch a high speed from Strasbourg over to Paris. My initial thoughts when researching these separately was:

Catch the 6:44AM to 7:25 AM from Colmar to Strasbourg, then the 7:49am to 9:35am from Strasbourg to Paris allowing us 24 minutes for the connection.

But when I plug Colmar to Strasbourg into the SNCF Connect app to try to book it all together, it offers:

7:06AM to 7:39AM from Colmar to Strasbourg, then the 7:49am to 9:35am from Strasbourg to Paris allowing us 10 minutes for the connection.

This seems like a bad option since it really isn’t allowing for any room for error or delay. Should I just book separately? Or is the app normally spot-on for what it suggests for a multi-stop journey?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 6 February 2024, 17:07

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

10 minutes in Strasbourg is fine.

But if you're thinking about leaving at 6:44, the you can also take the direct TGV from Colmar at 6:38.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Every station has a minimum connection time, planners will usually default to show the shortest valid journey that complies with that.

If you want extra connection time then it is often possible to add this but the SNCF app is pretty crap so I don’t believe it offers much advanced options.

If you are on a pass then just make a reservation for the Strasbourg - Paris leg and take whichever train from Colmar you prefer, they are non reservation trains anyway.

10 minutes in Strasbourg is fine.

But if you're thinking about leaving at 6:44, the you can also take the direct TGV from Colmar at 6:38.

I didn’t even realize there WERE direct trains to Paris out of Colmar - that’s a game changer!! Thank you so much for all of your help, across all of my many questions on this site. This has been the most logistically complicated trip I’ve planned and being unfamiliar with the ins and outs of the train system has been a challenge. I really appreciate you and AI_G always coming to the rescue!!

Every station has a minimum connection time, planners will usually default to show the shortest valid journey that complies with that.

If you want extra connection time then it is often possible to add this but the SNCF app is pretty crap so I don’t believe it offers much advanced options.

If you are on a pass then just make a reservation for the Strasbourg - Paris leg and take whichever train from Colmar you prefer, they are non reservation trains anyway.

Thank you for letting me know this - and thank you for all of your help across all of my questions on here!!