Solved

SOS! DiscoverEU application doubt

• 15 March 2024
  • 5 replies

I want to interrail with my friends and apply for the free pass. However, it seems that, in order to apply, we need to have 18 years old in the first semester of the year. Only I will have 18. What does this mean?? Will it be impossible? This rule just seems weird .

icon

Best answer by Hektor 15 March 2024, 19:32

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Your friend can always buy an Interrail pass. When will your friend turn 18?

They will be 18 years old in these dates:

• August
  • October
  • December

I want to interrail with my friends and apply for the free pass. However, it seems that, in order to apply, we need to have 18 years old in the first semester of the year. Only I will have 18. What does this mean?? Will it be impossible? This rule just seems weird .

Group members need to fulfil the same eligibility criteria: to be 18 years old (on 1 July 2024) and to be resident in one of the Member States of the European Union or one of the third countries associated to the Erasmus+ programme. 

So unfortunately only you are entitled to participate (at least in the next round but I assume that's what you are thinking about; you may all participate one round later). If you’d like to travel together, they’d need to buy a pass if you’d get a free one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you wait until the DiscoverEU round in October, then you all can participate at the same time and enter the contest as a group. However, then you will have to wait with travelling until the summer of 2025.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

To enter the DiscoverEU contest in March 2024 you have to be born 1 July 2005 to 30 June 2006.

To enter the DiscoverEU contest in October 2024 you have to be born 1 January 2006 to 31 December 2006.