Solved

Studying abroad in Europe (Switzerland): Eurail or Interrrail

• 4 April 2023
  • 3 replies

I’m a student from outside Europe studying abroad (on exchange) in Switzerland for 4 months. I just bought a Global Pass for a trip to Germany but noticed belatedly that I had bought the Interrail pass instead of the Eurail one, probably because I indicated Switzerland as my country of residence. I have not yet received my residence card, but I do have proof of registration at the Resident’s Office here. Seeing as I will likely have to activate my pass on 6/7 Apr (in a few days), I am a bit anxious and would like to seek reassurance that I don’t have to exchange my Interrail pass for an Eurail one. In short, can I use the Interrail pass I bought despite not having a European passport? I really don’t want to get fined.

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 4 April 2023, 08:25

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Should be no problem as long you have a proof you currently reside in Europe :) 

But note you are limited to just 2 Journey´s in Switzerland with the Interrailpass :) With your foreign Passport you could get a Eurailpass to travel without this Country of Residence limit.

Thanks a lot for the speedy answer seewulf! I just requested a refund for the Interrail pass. Do you know roughly how long it takes for refunds to be processed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You shouldn't have requested a refund. You should have made an exchange of passes. A refund costs 15 % of the cost of your pass and an exchange costs 15 EUR. If you bought PLUS there is no cost.