Solved

Taking a detour in my home country

• 5 December 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi, I understand that I can travel outbound and inbound in my home country. In my case I would have to take a big detour to be able to reach the border of my country by train. Would that be problematic?

And would I have to cross the border on the outbound day? Or could I also travel to the border and buy an ordinairy ticket to cross the border the next day? 

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 5 December 2023, 18:55

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There is no requirement to travel via the shortest or fastest journey on the inbound our outbound. You will have to cross the border during the outbound, or else you will use both in/outbound days on you way out and you won't have any left for the way in.

There is no requirement to travel via the shortest or fastest journey on the inbound our outbound. You will have to cross the border during the outbound, or else you will use both in/outbound days on you way out and you won't have any left for the way in.

Thanks! In my case (living in Spain) I would travel by train to Irún (on the border with France, but still in Spain) and then the next day travel on from Hendaye (in France, on the other side of the border). These towns are on walking distance (it is basically crossing a bridge). So what if I would travel within Spain to Irún on the outbound day and the next day walk across the border and then travel on by train from Hendaye? That wouldn’t cost me a 2nd inbound/outbound day, would it? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That’s totally fine of course.

You can also take Euskotren across the border (San Sebastian - Irun - Hendaye) : not included in Interrail but tickets cost 3-4€. Service every 30 min. It doesn’t appear on all planners though.