Solved

Train leaving after midnight CET

• 12 January 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I had read on the site travel days on mobile passes last from 00:00 to 23:59 CET, which is 23:00-22:59 GMT. 

However, when adding the Night Riviera, that leaves Paddington at 23:45 GMT (= 00:45 CET), the app forces me to activate the GMT day as a travel day (the previous day on CET).

Am I understanding the travel day policy wrong, or is the app not working correctly? Had I known earlier I would have planned otherwise (possibly the day train to Cornwall & back by sleeper).

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 12 January 2023, 20:45

View original

9 replies

Badge +5

UK is CET -1 so you end up using two travel days for this journey. You can avoid this by purchasing a single ticket to Reading £22.60

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

[Edit: deleted paragraph on RDGs understanding of which travel day a night train should use because the app clearly does not observe that.]

When I try to add a train in Portugal (same timezone) that leaves between 23:00 and 23:59 local time, then the app also wants to use the day of departure, which does not correspond to the conditions of use either. My test case was Pombal to Porto Campanha dep. 23:38.

Next tast case: Videle (Romania) dep. 0:22 to Arad. Since this is before midnight in CET, it should use the date from before midnight. In reality however, it doesn't.

Another series of test cases would be to try this when you are actually in those timezones when you add the journey to your pass.

@Jody, I think we've found a bug. The app doesn't seem to use the dates in the CET timezone when adding trains in another timezone to the pass, which does not correspond with the definition of travel day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

UK is CET -1 so you end up using two travel days for this journey. You can avoid this by purchasing a single ticket to Reading £22.60

Erm, no, a direct night train never uses 2 travel days.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Another series of test cases would be to try this when you are actually in those timezones when you add the journey to your pass.

I'm arriving in the UK tomorrow morning (on a Eurostar with a regular, non-passholder fare), so I'll see what happens once there.

Another interesting case would be activating it after 23:00, is it even possible to activate a travel day in the past? (Not really dare to try that out normally, with the risk of losing a travel day). Still have to buy the cabin supplement too, so I might be asked to activate it before 23:00 GMT. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I'm arriving in the UK tomorrow morning (on a Eurostar with a regular, non-passholder fare), so I'll see what happens once there.

I'll be interested!

Another interesting case would be activating it after 23:00, is it even possible to activate a travel day in the past? (Not really dare to try that out normally, with the risk of losing a travel day). Still have to buy the cabin supplement too, so I might be asked to activate it before 23:00 GMT. 

I haven't seen any reports from GB about having to activate a travel day when buying a reservation. That's usually RENFE.

In any case, just file a request for customer service if the app registers a travel day on an incorrect date. They can add extra travel days.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Is this another example of devices set in local time not CET? We have seen several posts on dates of birth and passports solved by adjusting devices to CET.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Is this another example of devices set in local time not CET? We have seen several posts on dates of birth and passports solved by adjusting devices to CET.

My phone is currently set to CET, but the trip is in GMT timezone. I'll see what happens tomorrow once I am in the GMT timezone myself.

Badge +5

Oops sorry for wrong information! I was multitasking but had one task too many!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

To get back on this: Activating when in the UK made no difference. I did activate it slightly before 23:00 GMT. 

Reached out to Interrail customer service and after some initial misunderstanding they fixed it in a matter of hours - they added an extra travel day to my pass. 

I'm not sure how many people are impacted negatively or possitively by this bug. Overall, using local timezones might make most sense anyway (as is the case for paper passes), so maybe the bug can be fixed by changing the travel day definition.