Solved

travel after inbound/outbound is used

• 13 December 2023
  • 7 replies

Hello,

I hold the Interrail France-Germany Pass which is a Flexipass of 7 days within 1 month. My country of residence is Germany but I am currently already traveling in France and have not used my outbound ticket to get here. (I came by other means of transport)
So what I would like to do is:

travel days 1-3: within France (I already used them)

travel day 4: Montpellier - Cologne =  inbound

travel day 5: Cologne - Montpellier = outbound 

travel day 6+7: within France 

The question is: Is it possible to use the inbound before the outbound journey? (Normally it would be the other way around) And is it possible to travel within France when I have already used out+inbound?

thanks a lot!

icon

Best answer by Al_G 13 December 2023, 21:18

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yes, that is allowed. There is no restriction on where and what order you use the 2 in/out days.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Only remember to get the mandatory reservations in advance. Cross-border TGV/ICEs are very popular but there are always regional trains in case.

Please note that you can’t travel on Eurostar (ex-Thalys) between Paris and Cologne as it crosses Belgium.

Only remember to get the mandatory reservations in advance. Cross-border TGV/ICEs are very popular but there are always regional trains in case.

Please note that you can’t travel on Eurostar (ex-Thalys) between Paris and Cologne as it crosses Belgium.

Almost all the trains from France to Cologne go via Paris - Bruxelles - Cologne (marked EUR 94..) Can I not use them because they traverse Belgium? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes you can't use them with the pass. You can buy a regular ticket (often expensive) or travel via another route :

- mainly TGV/ICEs from Paris to Mannheim

- but also regional trains like Strasbourg - Offenburg

From Montpellier this itinerary could work (avoiding Paris) :

- TGV Montpellier St-Roch - Strasbourg 06:53 - 12:24 10-20€*

- RB Strasbourg - Offenburg 12:52 - 13:22

- ICE Offenburg - Mannheim Hbf 13:28 - 14:24

- ICE Mannheim Hbf - Köln Hbf 14:36 - about 16:00 (depending on works)

The TGV Intersecteurs is really popular though. Let me know if it looks full as you can also search shorter legs.

*you should be able to get those reservations for free at a SNCF ticket counter (for holders of the special pass)

Oh thats good to know! I am surprised , why does the rail planner app propose me the trip via Bruxelles if it is not included in my pass ? I even filtered for “included in pass network”.

Regarding the free reservation on TGVs: is it also possible if my residence country is Germany? And can I get the free reservation without booking the return trip at the same time ? 

thanks a lot for your help!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Oh thats good to know! I am surprised , why does the rail planner app propose me the trip via Bruxelles if it is not included in my pass ? I even filtered for “included in pass network”.

The planner only filters for trains that accept the passes in general, but does not take into account any passes you may or may not have. In addition, the app is often out of date and not reliable in general and should not be used to plan.

Regarding the free reservation on TGVs: is it also possible if my residence country is Germany? And can I get the free reservation without booking the return trip at the same time ? 

I once saw a website with details about the free reservations but I can't find it back anymore :/

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I believe it was first aimed for French residents (while Germans were the ones most likely to use French trains...) but feel free to ask nonetheless.

Someone in this forum could get a free reservation at the ticket machines. Always worth the try too.