Travel as a group (18 adults) - Can one person plan the trip for everyone?

• 28 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Hello! 

I'm representing a choir from Sweden who will travel to Switzerland and Germany for a tour, and if possible we will do this by train! But, as you probably know, there can be some concerns planning for a larger group.  

Regarding Interrail-passes and the app. What can I, (as self-appointed reiseleiter), do to make it easier and what do every individual have to do? 

1. Can I book all of my companions seat-reservations through my app/mobile? 
  2. Can I add destinations/plan the trip in my app/mobile and share it with my companions?

Basically, can I do everything in advanced, so my companions just have to bring their mobile pass and show it for the conductor? 

… also, we’re 18 adults. Is there a group-discount? 

regards

Gabriel

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
  1. You can certainly book all reservations. The app can't book reservations though, it just forwards to some of the websites where you can book. Additionally, there's often a maximum number of passengers you can book online in one go, usually 5 or 9. You'll need to split up booking for larger groups or book at a ticket office or by phone.
  2. You should indeed be able to plan a journey and then share it via a link so others can add that journey to their trips.
  3. You can do it in advance, but don't activate any passes or travel days in advance. You can only cancel activation until 23:59 CET before validity starts. It something unexpected happens after that, it will be too late to cancel.
  4. There's no group discount. There are youth and senior discounts. And there’s probably a promotional offer coming up next month, with 10% discount. Subscribe to the Interrail newsletter to be informed when it starts.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7

It might be worthwile to check ordinary group prices at the railway companies too, compared to the price of 18 passes + reservation cost. It seems quite advantageous, both at Deutsche bahn  https://www.bahn.com/en/offers/group-saver-fare and DSB https://www.dsb.dk/find-produkter-og-services/dsb-gruppebillet/

Usually you can only make max 9 seat reservations per time, when travelling by Interrail. So you risk ending up not sitting close to each other.

It might be worthwile to check ordinary group prices at the railway companies too, compared to the price of 18 passes + reservation cost. It seems quite advantageous, both at Deutsche bahn  https://www.bahn.com/en/offers/group-saver-fare and DSB https://www.dsb.dk/find-produkter-og-services/dsb-gruppebillet/

Usually you can only make max 9 seat reservations per time, when travelling by Interrail. So you risk ending up not sitting close to each other.

Ok, thank you! I will check that out. I’ve initiated contact with DB Bahn and ÖBB concerning night trains, so I can ask them about the cost. 
I see, that’s good to know! 

1. You can certainly book all reservations. The app can't book reservations though, it just forwards to some of the websites where you can book. Additionally, there's often a maximum number of passengers you can book online in one go, usually 5 or 9. You'll need to split up booking for larger groups or book at a ticket office or by phone.
  2. You should indeed be able to plan a journey and then share it via a link so others can add that journey to their trips.
  3. You can do it in advance, but don't activate any passes or travel days in advance. You can only cancel activation until 23:59 CET before validity starts. It something unexpected happens after that, it will be too late to cancel.
  4. There's no group discount. There are youth and senior discounts. And there’s probably a promotional offer coming up next month, with 10% discount. Subscribe to the Interrail newsletter to be informed when it starts.

Thank you! 

Thats right, it’s only a link to the different companies, I forgot about that. So basically its the train-route I can prepare with the pass/app, but they have to activate it. But that helps some what. 

Regards
Gabriel 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thats right, it’s only a link to the different companies, I forgot about that. So basically its the train-route I can prepare with the pass/app, but they have to activate it. But that helps some what.

Correct. Although you should do the actual planning with a more reliable website, not with the Interrail website or app. They are often out of date. Best use national websites or apps and e.g. www.bahn.com for international planning.