Skip to main content

Hello

Do you have to add every individual journey on a travel day? Isn't the point of the global pass that you can use any valid train, bus or ferry on the travel day e.g. I have 15 days in 2 months, so on any of the 15 days I can just use the pass for any valid travel? 

So why do I have  to add eCh journey individually? And how can I add bus journeys when it doesn't search buss stations or time tables. I just have to add the bus manually and guess the times? Or do I have to search timetables elsewhere and then add that way?  If so, this is ridiculous and time consuming.

What happens if the bus or train is late or delayed and the travel times you entered are wrong?

You have to add all trains you use. This is needed for your ticket to be valid. Eurail also use this information to distribute the income between the participating companies. You don't have to plan in advance though. The only requirement is that you add a journey before you board.

There aren't many buses included in the pass. Guessing the times should not be necessary; there's always a timetable. If they're rail replacement buses, try updating the app just before you travel.

You can also always delete trains and add new ones.

Thanks for the reply, very helpful. Makes sense with the buses. We were concerned with the trains that if there are time changes or delays, it will make our tickets invalid as it will be different to our planned times. Good to know the times don't matter so much. Also it's hard because I'm travelling with my much older parents and they struggle to navigate the app to add the stations, they also don't have sim cards so no internet once we leave home. Makes it harder to update on the fly.

I can add them to my phone, but that means they can't go anywhere without me! 

We were concerned with the trains that if there are time changes or delays, it will make our tickets invalid as it will be different to our planned times. Good to know the times don't matter so much.

It's only the planned timetable that goes into the app. As to timetable changes: it's the reason you shouldn't plan with the app. It's not updated frequently enough to be reliable. Use national planners/apps; for international journeys, bahn.com or the DB Navigator app is a good choice.

Also it's hard because I'm travelling with my much older parents and they struggle to navigate the app to add the stations, they also don't have sim cards so no internet once we leave home. Makes it harder to update on the fly.

Updating on the fly is easy because you don’t need internet for that.

You do need internet for:

1. Activating the pass (only once).
  2. Activating a travel day (also on a continuous pass), i.e. when you add the first train of the day to your pass.
  3. Generating the QR code.
  4. At least once every 72 hours.

When you do 2 and 3 when you still have internet, then you can still make changes later without internet.

In addition, it can sometimes take a long time to show the QR code without internet. If that is the case, then turn on flight mode and it will show instantly.

Should your parents need internet, you could also make a hotspot for them.

Amazing! Thank you so much for explaining all that. Appreciate it!