Solved

Travel Days for Global Pass Purchase

• 20 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi All,

I am planning to visit Europe in summer and looking to purchase a Global pass. The problem which I am having is to understand the travel days. The pass which I choose was 5 days in 1 month. My itinerary is given below:

I arrive to Rome via international flight on 22nd June 

Rome to Milan -----25 June

Stay will remain in Milan for 3 nights and will visit Venice in between

Milan to Venice -----27 June

Venice to Milan------27June

Milan to Zurich------28th June

Zurich to Paris-------1st July

Paris to London------4th July

Flight back to home on 7th July

Now if you look at it there are 5 destinations which I am visiting and Venice is the one which I will be covering in 1 day and will be back to Milan. When I enter these details in Eurail planner, it shows me 6 days of travel and recommends 7 days in 1 month pass. I am confused because as per the information about the travel day, you can travel as many trains as you want after midnight to before next midnight and it will count as 1 day.

Please help me out in this so that I can purchase a Global pass accordingly.

Best regards

Qasim

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 20 April 2023, 13:44

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can safely ignore whatever the "Plan your trip” tool says and count the days yourself.

The reservation Paris-London should be made as soon as you know your travel date, i.e. now, since seats are limited and there are no alternatives by train once the Eurostar has run out of pass holder seats.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

For clarity - a travel day is from 0000 to 2359 CET. During that time you can board all trains in the network (Most trains in Europe) that are scheduled to depart in that time. You can travel on trains past that time as long as their scheduled departure was before 2359. If you connect with a train after 2359 that will require a new travel day. So a sleeper leaving at 2300 only requires one travel day even though it may not arrive until the next morning. You can of course take trains in the same travel day before the sleeper.

So a day return trip only requires one travel day.

Badge +5

You won’t see much of Venice on a day trip from Milan! If was me I would skip or curtail your trip to Zurich. It’s a nice city by the lake but cannot compare to Venice or many other places in CH. As mentioned above you MUST reserve Eurostar now or you could be disappointed 

Thanks @rvdborgt @Yorkie and @cdwatkins19 for the input. I am going to purchase the pass today and will get the reservation for Paris to London done right away.