Solved

Travel in Berlin - free access to airport/city center?

• 25 August 2022
  • 4 replies

I bought a Eurail Pass to travel between Berlin, Munich, Prague, Vienna and Salzburg. I arrive from US at Brandenburg/Brandt Airport and plan on taking the train from there to Berlin city center. Does the Eurail pass give me free access to the train or is it considered a travel day if I use it to get from the airport to city center? I have found conflicting info and just want to be sure I have the best experience from the airport. 

icon

Best answer by Al_G 25 August 2022, 20:21

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yes it would require a travel day, any use does. If this is the only journey you are making that day then it would likely not be worth using a pass day for it, cheaper to pay separately.

There are some side benefits, usually just discounts, listed on interrail website or MORE section on app, these can be used without activating a travel day

Userlevel 1

Hi, to travel from the Airport BER to Berlin City, you can buy a single ticket „Berlin ABC“ for 3,80 Euro. A good choice is also the 9-Euro-Ticket, a temporary offer by the government, which enables you take all regional trains and local public transport in all Germany till the end of august. Have fun!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This 9€-on which I now travel and use this trains wifi, ends 31/8. VBB=the local transport ´verbund'organises ticketing and offers a dayticket for 10€-good if you also use more transit that day to visit places. Buy from machine-and if no date yet on it, stamp at other machine (germans call this ´entwerten´).

BTW-the pass is only valid on trains-R, RE or the S-bahn-not the also looksliketrain but is metro/underground Ubahn nor the ´streetcars´ (strassenbahn, tram) that USAers unused to it all also may conceive to be train-they are not. The fine for not having a valid ticket when they check is 60€.

Userlevel 1

??? Where did they fine you? Normally, the 9-Euro-Ticket as well as the 24-Hour-ticket „Berlin ABC“ from BVG or VBB are both valid also in the subway, the Tram 🚋 , buses and even some local ferrys in Berlin 😀