Solved

Travel in Italy and from Milan to Paris

• 10 June 2023
  • 4 replies

I am planning a trip to Italy and then on to Paris. We are from Canada and this is our first trip like this overseas. We are flying into Rome staying 2 days and then from there were going to take the train to Florence, Vienna, Milan and then onto Paris. I was told I would need to get an EUrail pass. Is this the right pass or is there a better one to get ?  I was thinking of the 10 days for a month ,if that is the right rail pass to buy would that be enough?

In Italy we will be spending about 2 days in each city( we don’t a much of an agenda for the last 3 cities in Italy we just want to explore and see what we can) and then finishing out our trip in Paris with about 10-11 days there( we have an agenda planned for Paris .( I  know that I need a different pass for the metro in Paris which I will have to get there) I did notice that the train to Paris from Milan show 2 ways and one is though Switzerland, we want to see the country and thought this would be a nice way to go if we can  Do I need a different pass to travel though Switzerland or can I use the EUrail pass in all countries. 

I want to get the right pass( and I will buy before I leave Canada) but need help to understand what is the best pass to get and what I need to travel in the direction I want to go.

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 11 June 2023, 02:46

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I only count 4 travel days. So you'll be able to do it with a 4 days pass. (Rome-Firenze is one, Firenze-Vienna is two, Vienna-Milan is three, Milan-Paris is four) 

Vienna or Venice? (as you mentioned 3 Italian cities) 

When are you planning this trip?

Make sure to check ordinary ticket prices, as early advance tickets can be rather cheap, in comparison to the cost of a pass day and seat reservation cost (count 10 EUR per seat reservation cost in Italy, possibly more for French trains - which you don't need to pay when booking ordinary tickets) 

https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html for trains in Italy (and some trains to Paris) 

https://www.oebb.at/en/ for the trains in Austria (to from Vienna) 

www.sncf-connect.com for other trains to Paris (and France in general) 

HI Thank you  for the info that helps alot  , I was thinking of each place as a different city Rome, Florence , Venice ,Milan and then on to Paris .

We are planning for November and since it is the off season we are thinking it may not be as busy. I will check the link mentioned too. So when getting the EUrail pass I would need to make reservations to wherever I go, you can’t just hope on a train to go when  you want?

We may make a day trip to Pompeii as well , we are still figuring it all out.

There are some tours that we want to see and may book some things ahead but others we may see if we can find tickets once we get there. Are are thinking of doing the same for hotels and just going to where we want and then seeing if we can get a place to stay if we want to stay overnight. Do you think that would work or will we have issues trying to get places to stay so last min? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

In November a lot of things will be possible.

Booking trains last-minute won't be much of a problem. There will also always be accommodation available but it becomes more expensive closer to the travel date.

With a Eurail pass you'll need to add 13€ for each high-speed train in Italy and 30€ for the TGV to Paris. If you'd like flexibility, this is the way to go. There are trains every 15 min between Rome and Florence and there will be availability on the day.

However buying advance tickets would be cheaper : maybe 20€ per ride + 50€ to go to Paris. But then you're tied to specific connections...

HI Ok thank you , I think the flexibility would be better even if it is a bit more that way we are not tied to specific connections. But we can book ahead if needed. And we want to see everything but still take our time as well.