Solved

UK strike and Eurostar

if Eurostar doesn’t run due to the strike, I will miss my accomodation in Bruxelles and it is not refundable. Can I claim compensation?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 8 June 2022, 11:06

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The railways will have to put you up wherever you strand but will not pay back your non-refundable hotel.

As to the journey, you have 3 choices:

1. Don't travel and get full refunds for any train reservations you have done.
  2. Use the next available train(s): the railways then have to rebook you on the first available train(s) to your destination, free of charge. In this case you can also claim compensation for delay.
  3. Travel at a later date of your choice: rebooking is then also free of charge.

Make sure to deactivate any travel days if you've already activated them.

Badge

@rvdborgt My eurostar was delayed for 137 minutes on 19th July from Paris to London. They are saying to contact Interrail for compensation.

Any idea how much compensation is offered??

Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@rvdborgt My eurostar was delayed for 137 minutes on 19th July from Paris to London. They are saying to contact Interrail for compensation.

Any idea how much compensation is offered??

Please check the link I gave above. Under item 3 there's a link to the table with details.

Also note that Interrail will only give compensation on the pass value. Eurostar however is obliged to give compensation on the reservation you paid (50% in this case). You can apply here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Tarik Alam 

Here is information about delay compensation for holders of Eurail passes.

https://www.eurail.com/en/help/delay-compensation

Badge

Dear @rvdborgt 

I filled this form you attached. (You can apply here). But Eurostar says I am ineligible. Are you sure about this information “Eurostar however is obliged to give compensation on the reservation you paid (50% in this case)”. 

Should I email them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I filled this form you attached. (You can apply here). But Eurostar says I am ineligible. Are you sure about this information “Eurostar however is obliged to give compensation on the reservation you paid (50% in this case)”.

Yes I'm sure. Interrail/Eurail also write on their compensation page (item 1.): "Compensation for supplements (e.g. reservations) and reimbursement of expenses incurred as a result of the sustained delay (e.g. for alternative means of transportation, accommodation, etc.) fall within carriers’ individual conditions of carriage.”

That means that Eurostar should handle your compensation request for the reservation you bought.

Should I email them.

Yes, go ahead. If they continue to refuse, then you can appeal to London Travelwatch.

Badge

@rvdborgt Thank you so much for your quick and helping reply.