Solved

UK to NL - One country NL or Global?

• 26 March 2023
  • 6 replies

Im visiting family in the UK from America, but I am a UK citizen (duo passport) and I plan to travel to and from London to Amsterdam each weekend for a month. 

That's 6-8 trips. Do I need a one country or Global pass? 

Im guessing I'm allowed to take the LNER for free to get to King's Cross, then get on the Eurostar to Amsterdam. Then I can use the trams and metro for free in Amsterdam right? 

Or am I misunderstanding how it works. 

When I need to take the Eurostar back to UK, is that allowed on a one country pass? Because when I get back to London, I will need to take a LNER train out of London to my city, will that be an additional cost?

This all confuses me a bit, on what pass to purchase and if this plan is feasible. 

Thanks for your help.

Edit: Forgot to add, because of brexit, does UK passport still apply to interrail? And would getting Eurorail pass be even better for this plan? 

I'm guessing global is best because what if I want to go to another country one time. But that's for another time. Curious if Eurorail or interrail is better value? 

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 26 March 2023, 20:13

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you live in the US, you can buy a Eurail pass. Just use your US passport when buying the pass.

Totally unrelated to which passport you use for any border crossings.

If you live in the US, you can buy a Eurail pass. Just use your US passport when buying the pass.

Totally unrelated to which passport you use for any border crossings.

Why Eurail over interrail though? I would imagine Eurail would be more expensive 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You need a global pass to use the Eurostar. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

And with an Interrail pass you would only have a maximum of 2 travel days in the UK. With a Eurail pass there are no such limitations. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You will need a global pass because a one country pass is only valid in one country.

Brexit has had exactly zero influence on which passes UK residents can use because the country ist still in Europe. But Eurail is the better deal for you.

Also book your Eurostar reservations as soon as you know your travel dates. Especially availability to/from Amsterdam is limited. If there are no more seats to/from Amsterdam, then try Rotterdam or Brussels. You can use reservation-free intercity trains to get to/from there.

Connecting trains in the UK can be used at no extra cost. Reservations for them are optional (the Interrail/Eurail websites are wrong about that) and can be obtained free of charge from LNER or GWR websites or from a ticket office in GB.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I would imagine Eurail would be more expensive 

It isn't.