Solved

Upgrade to a bed / berth / cabin with Eurail / Interrail Greek Island Pass

• 7 April 2024
  • 8 replies

Hello,

I recently heard about the Eurail 4 days pass for Greek Islands. I though I finally found an affordable way to visit the Greek islands are to me, ferry prices are outrageous.

Unfortunately, I am not that young anymore and not extremely enthusiast to the idea of spending long overnight trip on an economy seat.  

My question is the following: is there a way to upgrade from an economy seat to a bed when making a reservation?

I am going to Greece at the end of April - beginning of May, which should normally be a relatively quiet time. However, this year, Orthodox Easter is May 5 and ferry are popular.  There is no chance I will get a bed if I wait to be on the ferry to upgrade. 

Thank you. 

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 7 April 2024, 11:59

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Edit: Corrected, as I gave the wrong information!

I tried to follow the instructions on the Eurail page, but I can’t find a way to get a discount on the cabin cost, or even discover if you’re eligible for one. Sorry!

https://www.eurail.com/en/eurail-passes/one-country-pass/greek-islands#how-to-reserve

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Upgrades with a discount connot be done anymore in advance. You can only book them on board of the ship: "Reserve now. Upgrade later. Upgrade your cabin with an exclusive 30% reduction once your ship has sailed (except Lux cabins). Valid for international and domestic routes.”

The first class pass includes "shared 4-bed inside cabin”, but only on international routes.

Does  anyone knows how long Attica takes to answer and if there is a way to upgrade before being on the boat? 

I spent the last 4 days trying to get answers and have an itinerary that could fit (quite complicated) and in which there are some berths left. 

I am in my 50s and I have red-eye flights in a long trip between Ottawa then Montréal then Amsterdam, then Malta, then Athens. It would be too much for me to spend 3 nights freezing on a ferry deck or even on a airplane like seat. If I cant upgrade, I will not take this pass. Normally, end of April and early May should be relatively quiet but this year, exceptionnelly, Orthodox Easter is May. 

After more than 24 hours, I still have no answers from the Attica Group and answers from Eurail where not helpful. 

Information is very hard to obtain and misleading. I find this Eurail pass is a real scam. 

Thank to this lack of information, my trip is in 2 weeks, I am exhausted and I have no reservation. Before Ieant about this pass a few days ago, I was planning to go to a single island, take a flight and spend more time in Malta and this is probably what I will end up doing. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You could try calling Attica, but AFAIK you can only book accommodation in advance at the non-reduced price. The basic ferry fare would still be covered by the pass.

Eurail is not a scam. It's the operators who set the conditions for the use of the pass on their services and who sometimes would rather have you buy regular tickets, as I feel may be the case here.

It is hard for me to call as I am not in Europe, I am in Canada. I could always try with Skype or a similar service but it is still a different time zone and I have so many other things to do before I leave in just 2 weeks.

I would work an upgrade? Would I pay the full price, 100% of the difference or a rebate on the difference? And if I pay the full price, what would be the benefit of buying this pass?

The reason I say it is a scams is that the information is incomplete and deceitful. Ones have to look to for information to realize it only applies to certain carriers. Than it is written very clearly on Eurail website is “30% discount on accommodation upgrades and additional domestic ferries”.

Interrail Greek Islands Pass | Greek Islands One Country Pass | Interrail.eu

I would not have spent 30 hours  of my life when I have way to much on my plate and I am exhausted to try to make it work if I had not been mislead by this information. I am not sure what the competition laws are in Europe, but here in Canada, we call it misleading advertising. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I would work an upgrade? Would I pay the full price, 100% of the difference or a rebate on the difference? And if I pay the full price, what would be the benefit of buying this pass?

I thought it was possible to book a cabin (for full price) when travelling on a pass, but I can't find a way to do it. This must have changed fairly recently (which is a shame), since I'm pretty sure it was possible before; maybe not online but certainly through Attica customer service.

The reason I say it is a scams is that the information is incomplete and deceitful. Ones have to look to for information to realize it only applies to certain carriers. Than it is written very clearly on Eurail website is “30% discount on accommodation upgrades and additional domestic ferries”.

Interrail Greek Islands Pass | Greek Islands One Country Pass | Interrail.eu

I would not have spent 30 hours  of my life when I have way to much on my plate and I am exhausted to try to make it work if I had not been mislead by this information. I am not sure what the competition laws are in Europe, but here in Canada, we call it misleading advertising. 

That's also misleading over here.

@Mukhammad @Camilo. On the Interrail/Eurail Greek Islands pass pages, I see at least 4 occurrences of "upgrade” without mentioning that this is only possible on board the ferry. It should also be made clear that booking a cabin in advance is not possible when travelling on a pass (which IMO makes this pass rather useless for overnight crossings), or if it is possible, it should be made clear how a cabin can be booked in advance with a pass. Attica customer service doesn’t seem to reply anymore (I've read that more often recently), so it should be clear how bookings on the website can be done.

I agree, it is exactly my point. It should be made very clear that 30% off on upgrade is only available under very specific conditions. 

And nobody can tell me if upgrade is possible in advanve by paying 100% of the différence with an economy seat.

I am not even asking for a cabin. All I am asking for is a bed, i.e. the cheapest berth option. 

Here is the response I got from the Attica group:

“If you have a reservation with the Greek Island Pass, upgrading your tickets in advance is not possible. You can only upgrade in the ship depending on the availability.”

So basically, Eurail pass for Greek Islands is, for most  of us, as useless as others Eurail passes.