Solved

Use of Global Pass in UK

• 22 June 2023
  • 7 replies

We are travelling from Wolverhampton to Berlin in September and want to know if we will be able to use our passes to travel to London Euston from Wolverhampton before joining the Eurostar at St Pancras. We have already reserved our seats on the Eurostar.

I have called National rail enquiries and they said you cannot use the global pass in your country of residence?

Andy

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 22 June 2023, 13:00

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

National rail enquiries are wrong: you can use your pass in your country of residence on a maximum of 2 travel days. This includes any use of Eurostar.

Hi, Yes aware we can use it on Eurostar, but they are saying we cannot use it to travel to London from Wolverhampton on Avanti West Coast.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

They are wrong and you should not spend any further time wasted on anything they said.

All global Interrail passes can be used for unlimited travel on 2 days in the passholder’s home country.

It amazes me the amount of official rail agencies that the travelling public find to ask basic information from that manage to provide absolute garbage information.

Last I checked UK National Rail Enquiries phone service was run out of a sub-contracted call centre in India with predictable levels of garbage information being provided.

We are travelling from Wolverhampton to Berlin in September and want to know if we will be able to use our passes to travel to London Euston from Wolverhampton before joining the Eurostar at St Pancras. We have already reserved our seats on the Eurostar.

I have called National rail enquiries and they said you cannot use the global pass in your country of residence?

Andy

If you have a valid Eurail Global Pass, it can be used in the UK to travel on trains operated by National Rail, including services provided by companies like Virgin Trains, Great Western Railway, and others. The pass allows you to hop on and off trains without having to purchase individual tickets for each journey. However, it's important to note that seat reservations may be required or recommended for certain trains in the UK, especially for high-speed or long-distance services. Some trains may have limited availability for pass holders, so it's advisable to make reservations in advance whenever possible.

We have an upcoming trip planned from Wolverhampton to Berlin in September, and we're wondering if we can use our Eurail passes to travel from Wolverhampton to London Euston before boarding the Eurostar at St Pancras. We have already reserved our seats on the Eurostar, but we're unsure if our passes will be valid for the domestic leg of our journey in the UK.

To clarify, we reached out to National Rail Enquiries, and they informed us that the Eurail Global Pass cannot be used in our country of residence. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can totally use the pass to Euston. The person who told you that it's not valid is wrong.

On 2 of your pass days you can take as many trains as you'd like in your country.

If you'd like to make a free seat reservation (recommended on the WCML and ECML), use GWR and follow this procedure : https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105?postid=11554#post11554

No need to do it well in advance.

Btw if you have the Eurail Pass that limitation doesn't apply as you can't use it in the US anyway...

Also, for what it is worth, NOBODY will check or question you about your country of residence!

I just returned from an 8 day UK-only Interrail jaunt where I tried to cover as much of the rail network, different operators and various train types as possible (geeky former train-spotter here). I took 92 trains in total and was not asked about my residency by a single member of station or train staff. This is despite being obviously a “local” (British ex-pat living abroad now) and having a good chat about the railways etc. to many of the guards and other crew.