Solved

Used inbound but my train is cancelled

• 11 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello!

Today my plan was to go home from Cologne to The Netherlands (Heerhugowaard). But my train was cancelled and all the other trains were very delayed so I can’t go home. I decided to go back to my hostel were I slept last night because I don’t want to sleep on a trainstation. But now I used my Inbound day and I can’t use it tomorrow. Is there something I can do? Because paying for the trip from the border to my home is very expensive. 

icon

Best answer by Angelo 11 August 2022, 20:51

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This is why you never should add a journey to your pass until you are 100% sure that you will board the train. If you do that in advance you risk loosing travel days.

When your train was cancelled, did you ask at the train station for help? What did they say?

You can ask Customer Support for help. Please use the form below to contact them and write that you are currently travelling. 

https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If customer service can't help, try to ask train staff tomorrow before entering the train explaining the situation. NS International Staff should enter in Cologne and you will see them on the platform probably before the train arriving. 

also try via Social Media writing a private message to @Interrail or email customerservice@interrail.eu

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In such a case, the railways (in this case DB) are responsible to arrange overnight accommodation and onward travel without extra costs. Always speak with staff when you get stranded to get this arranged.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

NS staff will NOT reach Köln at all-they never did and are thus inapproachable. Right now-but Joyce did not tell anything about ALternatives etc-also there are very big mishaps with the supposed direct ICE trains that should run FRA-Köln-NL, as long time works on the tracks in NL and the lack of enough trainsets for this-has to be fit for 2 systems. What remains of them mostly shuttles Ams-via alt. goods line-Arnhem-Emmerich-if lucky a domestic ICE will stand across platform to continue.

The crews on when it was direct ICE were mixed DE/NL-but mostly DE

Indeed she should have gone in the long Q for the info and ask for a replacement ticket.

Thanks for all the help! 

I was in panic and really tired when I saw that my train was cancelled so that is why I didn’t think about going to the staff from DB. The next day I went to them and they say it was okay that i go with the train that day. 

I also wrote an email to Interrail and they gave me one more Inbound/outbound day. I got this email from them 5 minutes before my train leaves so everything went fine in final.