Solved

Used travel day but couldn't travel because no seat reservations

Hello!

I’m traveling through Spain right now. On my first day traveling, I planned to take a train from Vigo to Madrid, but I couldn’t because there were no seat reservations available when I reached the Spanish ticket office at the station. However, I had already put this ride in my pass and marked the day (July 1st) as a travel day. Since the day had already begun, I couldn’t cancel that travel day, so I ended up using a travel day even though I didn’t take any trains using my pass. Instead, I had to travel the next day and use an unplanned travel day. 

Now, I have one less travel today than I need to complete my trip. I tried contacting customer service through the chat bot to try to resolve this issue, but I haven’t heard back. Is there another way to contact someone?

icon

Best answer by Angelo 3 July 2022, 16:33

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi please get in touch with customer service

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This is why the experience travellers keep saying that it is important not to activate a travel day until you know that you will board the train. 

Hi please get in touch with customer service

Thanks for this info! I’ll reach out to them. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@anna-but in this case Spanish logic seems to have worked: they will wont to be sure @ counter that a passday is activated (probably new instructions from HQ) and then when they see in the system all trains full its too late.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@anna-but in this case Spanish logic seems to have worked: they will wont to be sure @ counter that a passday is activated (probably new instructions from HQ) and then when they see in the system all trains full its too late.

We don't that this is what happened in this case. We don't even know if the RENFE ticket office requires a travel day to be activated before they even check for availability. That's an assumption from your side. Since that can work out badly, I don't want to assume anything like that before I have seen sufficient proof.

I contacted customer service using the Zen Desk link above but I haven’t heard back. I know it’s very busy right now, but I need to use the lost travel day in 2 days. 

@Nanja Is there another way to get in contact with customer service?

We don't that this is what happened in this case. We don't even know if the RENFE ticket office requires a travel day to be activated before they even check for availability. That's an assumption from your side. Since that can work out badly, I don't want to assume anything like that before I have seen sufficient proof.

To be fair, this is not what happened in my case. I activated the travel day the night before, not realizing that reservation would be so hard to get and that I would not be able to disactivate the travel day on the day of before my train departed if I did not get a reservation.

I had already made a seat reservation for the train through DB, but the paper reservation never reached me in Portugal because it got caught in postal customs. I hoped RENFE would be able to help me with this lost reservation at the station, but this was sadly not the case either. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I had already made a seat reservation for the train through DB, but the paper reservation never reached me in Portugal because it got caught in postal customs. I hoped RENFE would be able to help me with this lost reservation at the station, but this was sadly not the case either. 

Right… that is why you should never activate a pass or a travel day in advance.