Solved

Utilizing Eurail Global Pass in Italy

Badge +2

I have (already) bought a Eurail Global Pass for my upcoming trip to Italy (coming first time to Europe with my family including 2 kids). Budget is my BIG concern & I want to take full benefit of this pass (for cheap travel wherever possible).

I am generally managing well (budget), however, concerned about traveling to (& within Italy) on this Pass. I have read that this pass is not much friendly in Italy (Tourist Trap etc, but I don’t want to buy another pass for Italy) and supports only Trenitalia and a few small other companies. The major routes that I want to travel (on different days) using this pass include:

• Switzerland to Rome (first use) - I am planning to reach Tirano, Italy (via Bernina Express) & then travel to Rome from here. However, this plan (using Bernina Express) is not FIXED & can be altered
  • Rome to Florence (second use)
  • Florence to Munich, Germany (third use)
  • Munich to Milan (fourth use)

So my questions are:

1. I need help/guidance to find a cheap/free train from Tirano (or some nearby location) till Rome while utilizing Eurail Global Pass.
  2. Suggestions if I can add a manual route in the app (like if there is a nearby major station with better train options)
  3. If Trenitalia supports Eurail Global Pass, how can I reserve cheap/free tickets on my intended route on this train service?
  4. Any other suggestions/tips to fully utilize (as much possible) the Eurail Global Pass within Italy (on my required routes)
  5. Any other alternate (cheap) option to travel between the locations I mentioned above.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 7 June 2023, 13:31

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The problem is the seat reservations that you need to add on some trains :

- 3€ IC trains

- 13€ Frecciarossa high-speed trains

Tirano - Milan : reservation-free (not possible). There are engineering works this summer so you might have to take a bus for part of the journey (pass valid). Plan accordingly leaving extra time. https://www.reddit.com/r/Interrail/comments/13yrzg4/milan_to_tirano_disruption_this_summer_affects/

For Milan - Rome you best spend 13€ per person for a 3h journey, otherwise expect a 9h journey (3€) or 12h journey (free)…

Btw do not pay 26 CHF extra for a seat reservation on the panorama carriages of the Bernina Express, not worth it imho. Instead :

- hourly regional trains on the same route

- reservation-free carriages at the front of the Bernina Express

During summer between St. Moritz, Pontresina and Tirano open-air carriages are added to a few trains. Check trains with AW symbol on SBB app if you'd like. The Bernina route is truly stunning so I'd recommend to keep it.

Rome - Florence : 13€ (1h40) or free (3h45)

Between Italy and Germany : there is a 10€ surcharge if you take direct ECs, however if you take regional trains or board the EC in Brennero it's free (but longer). Route example :

- FA Firenze S.M.N - Bolzano/Bozen 08:36 - 11:51 13€

- RE Bolzano/Bozen - Brennero 12:02 - 13:22

- EC Brennero - München Hbf 14:00 - 16:27 3€ seat reservation per person. Optional but recommended, otherwise you might have to stand.

Could be cheaper but it would take a few extra hours. Same advice to go to Milan.

Let me know for questions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@thibcabe like you said for the leg to Munich I would at Brennero/Brenner change to the S-Bahn to Innsbruck 13:33 from Brenner arrival at 14:15 in Innsbruck. 

In Innsbruck to wait for the Eurocity is better than at Brenner. The station at Brenner is very ugly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

To use the pass :

You add any train you'd like to take to the app before boarding. This gives you a QR-code which is your ticket.

For trains requiring seat reservations : you do the step above + you book seat reservations in advance. Whenever asked you show both the app (ticket) and the PDF (seat reservation).

Italian seat reservations are best made through tickets.oebb.at (no booking fee) : add Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets.

For planning, it's best to use bahn.com (you can filter trains requiring seat reservations) or the companies websites

@Angelo thanks for the advice ! I wasn't sure if the regional train might be very busy. But as it's the starting point, it shouldn't be a problem to find seats :)

Badge +2

Thank you for the detailed information. Related to what you have told me, I had a few additional queries:

1. I hear the term, ‘Regional Trains’ a lot. Which trains are these?
  2. I would be carrying 2 x 23 KG Luggage bags along (besides bag pack). I hope we can take these along on all trains and all related (especially) buses?
  3. I couldn’t fully understand your first point “Tirano - Milan : reservation-free (not possible). There are engineering works this summer so you might have to take a bus for part of the journey (pass valid).” Your first point regarding Tirano-Milan, you mean there is no ‘Free’ Train available? And secondly, what is meant by ‘Pass Valid’, for the journey to be taken on the Bus due to train closure, and how to avail that?
  4. If I book tickets through different train sites, like tickets.oebb.at. How will I be able to use them.. like I have to add them in Rail Planner app (how?) or just keep the PDF on my phone?
  5. My last query is regarding “Night Trains”. I guess people use them to avoid staying at a hotel at night (I have never used them before)? So is it possible to use them in my case, when I am going from Italy to Germany? I would really appreciate it if you can show an example, which I can use it here or during some other part of my trip.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Regional trains are local trains that often stop at every station.

Normaly you can carry so much luggage how you can carry on. Nobody will help you.

About Tirano-Milano, there are works and they put a bus instaed of a local train on this line. On local trains reservations are not possible, just add the bus or the train in the app and hop on the bus/train and find a free seat.

When you buy a Eurail Pass you add it in the rail planner app. Than there you add all the train tipps (like a diary) and you get a QR-Code. This pass is your train ticket. On top of this ticket, sometimes you need a seat reservation. This is not linked with the pass. You can book it everywhere and you will never see it in the app. You get mostly PDF. Often they say you have to print them but in West and Middle Europe except nighttrains you don't need to.

About nighttrains yes, on your route there are less night trains maybe inside France could you use it (maybe someone here in the community knows more @thibcabe @rvdborgt ), or inside Italy. International you have like Vienna-Paris, Rome/CinqueTerre-Milan to Vienna/Munich or Venice-Munich/Vienna.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Night trains always require reservations, except for the seating cars of DB that run on some routes. The cost for the reservation depends on how you want to travel. You can sit, sleep in a couchette, where you get a berth, a blanket and a pillow, or in a sleeper, where you get more of a real bed with proper bed linnen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There would be one night train on your route : Bologna 23:45 - Munich 09:22. It runs direct from Florence usually but not this summer due to engineering works.

However it is very popular and most dates for the summer are sold out. What would be your travel date ? You can best check availability and book through nightjet.com : add Eurail as a discount.

I think everything else has been answered :)

Badge +2

Thank you for all your help & time.

However, I just couldn’t understand one thing (due to my lack of experience with Eurail):

About Tirano-Milano, there are works and they put a bus instaed of a local train on this line. On local trains reservations are not possible, just add the bus or the train in the app and hop on the bus/train and find a free seat

I don’t know how to find this bus, so I can add it? And as per my previous searches, Tirano - Milan was a paid route requiring reservation, however, you are saying its free ??

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I don’t know how to find this bus, so I can add it? And as per my previous searches, Tirano - Milan was a paid route requiring reservation, however, you are saying its free ??

Tirano-Milan is always without reservation.

The timetable has now been updated and the buses are in the rail planner app. But it's better to check that timetable on www.trenitalia.com because I also notice the timetable in the app is incomplete. Should a bus or train still be missing by the time you're travelling, the you can add it manually.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Indeed. And the 5-min connection in Sondrio is not shown on Rail Planner so this will confuse a lot of travellers…

(Fortunately the landslide issue seems to be resolved. Only the engineering works left !)