I have (already) bought a Eurail Global Pass for my upcoming trip to Italy (coming first time to Europe with my family including 2 kids). Budget is my BIG concern & I want to take full benefit of this pass (for cheap travel wherever possible).
I am generally managing well (budget), however, concerned about traveling to (& within Italy) on this Pass. I have read that this pass is not much friendly in Italy (Tourist Trap etc, but I don’t want to buy another pass for Italy) and supports only Trenitalia and a few small other companies. The major routes that I want to travel (on different days) using this pass include:
- Switzerland to Rome (first use) - I am planning to reach Tirano, Italy (via Bernina Express) & then travel to Rome from here. However, this plan (using Bernina Express) is not FIXED & can be altered
- Rome to Florence (second use)
- Florence to Munich, Germany (third use)
- Munich to Milan (fourth use)
So my questions are:
- I need help/guidance to find a cheap/free train from Tirano (or some nearby location) till Rome while utilizing Eurail Global Pass.
- Suggestions if I can add a manual route in the app (like if there is a nearby major station with better train options)
- If Trenitalia supports Eurail Global Pass, how can I reserve cheap/free tickets on my intended route on this train service?
- Any other suggestions/tips to fully utilize (as much possible) the Eurail Global Pass within Italy (on my required routes)
- Any other alternate (cheap) option to travel between the locations I mentioned above.
Best answer by thibcabeView original