Solved

Vacation not over but no more outbound/inbound journey

• 26 August 2022
  • 6 replies

Hello everyone,

I live in France and went to Germany to do some vacation there, I then continued my vacation with Friends (from Germany) in France. Now I am supposed to go back to Germany with my friends and finish the vacation there (and go back to my hometown in France after that).

The problem is that I have no inbound days left to go back to Germany and then return home to France, because while activating my travel days, the rail planner used my inbound day on the wrong trip.

I booked my entire trip on the Interrail website while being logged in, this means that the website knew which Interrail pass I had and the conditions that came with it. Because the website knew all these details, it only seemed logical that it would show me trips that are compatible with my pass or show me a warning message that tells me that there is an issue in my order.

So now I can't go back home because the app (rail planner) used the inbound day on the wrong travel day. I’m supposed to take my train back home in 5 days...

Thanks for any help in advance,

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 26 August 2022, 12:43

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can only travel on 2 days in your home country and the app always asks you if you want to use your outbound/inbound travel day.

What dates and routes have you travelled in France?

Can you post a screen shot of your Trip where the outbound/inbound travel day has been used? Remove all personal data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Additionally, the app cannot guess when you want to use your inbound/outbound journeys. Every time you enter a journey that is at least partly in your country of residence, it will ask if you want to use an inbound/outbound journey. It is then up to you to decide if you want that or not. If you don't want that, you have to alter your journey so it does not include your country of residence.

You can only travel on 2 days in your home country and the app always asks you if you want to use your outbound/inbound travel day.

What dates and routes have you travelled in France?

Can you post a screen shot of your Trip where the outbound/inbound travel day has been used? Remove all personal data.

Thanks for the quick answer

Yes, that is true, but I didn’t really knew that I only had two days. So now I have 8 travel days left on my pass that I can’t really use. Or I will need to pay for the tickets to go out of France and then continue with Interrail

Additionally, the app cannot guess when you want to use your inbound/outbound journeys. Every time you enter a journey that is at least partly in your country of residence, it will ask if you want to use an inbound/outbound journey. It is then up to you to decide if you want that or not. If you don't want that, you have to alter your journey so it does not include your country of residence.

Indeed, the app doesn’t really know that, but the website knows how I am going to travel and still gives me the possibility to book and pay for the tickets.

Yes indeed, the app told me that I was going to use an inbound/outbound day but I didn’t know that this would block my next travels days.

I am just mad that the Interrail planner doesn’t tell you that the trip is not going to work with my pass and instead lets me pay everything

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can still use your travel days outside of France if you buy a ticket for the ride within France. It might be possible to buy a ticket to the border point between France and the neighbouring country. Otherwise you need a ticket to the first station after the border.

The whole idea with Interail is to explore other countries than your own. Until not that many years ago you couldn't travel for free at all in your country of residence with Interrail.

Yeah, I just need to buy the tickets. Yes, but I wanted to explore Germany and France because I don’t know every part of France and wanted to have some nice vacation there with my friends.