Solved

validity pass on ICE trains Germany

Hello, we are on our way from Duisburg to Berlin on a ICE train (with seat reservations). We have a interrail global pass 1st class. Just now the ticketinspector told us this ticket is not valid on ICE products but only IC and lower class products. 

we traveled before by ICE train and never had any problem. Is it true interrail is not valid?

kind regards,

Robin Cremers 

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 30 June 2023, 13:40

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Which ICE were you on (train number or departure times)?

Interrail is valid on every train category of DB, sometimes the staff makes mistakes too :)

We are on ICE 547 now.

Duisburg 11:10 - Berlin 15:11 :)

She said for now it is oké, but its not valid.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Good you weren’t charged anything.

Anyway, this is no special train so she just made a mistake.

You can show this link should another discussion arise (probably not):

https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/tips-and-tricks/trains-europe/railway-companies

Or this snippet to prove your point

All DB trains are included.

Thank you for your information! Gives us some rest for the rest of the journey. As we travel back sunday by ICE as well. 👍👌

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@seewulf 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Sounds like some staff member needs some extra training.

Interrail has always been valid on ICE. At first, you needed an ICE upgrade but that was abolished almost 20 years ago IIRC.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Camilo. @Mukhammad

Several people in the Swedish train traveller Facebook group report the same problem as the author of this topic. The train inspector on the ICE from Hannover to Basel has threatened to make all people travelling with Interrail leave the train as s/he says that Interrail isn't valid on ICE trains. Can you please check what is happening?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I think it's best to include details, so Eurail can take this up with DB: route, date, departure time (or train number), where/when did the ticket check take place.

Maybe this is just one staff member on one and the same train.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I think it's best to include details, so Eurail can take this up with DB: route, date, departure time (or train number), where/when did the ticket check take place.

Maybe this is just one staff member on one and the same train.

There are at least two different trains. I have asked in the FB group for more details. 

So maybe this is no coincidence after all? Still hope it is…

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi all, 

I will report this with the SMEs. It might be that there is wrong information provided to the inspectors. I will keep you updated. Dear @AnnaB do you have any link to the Facebook group with the complaint?

Have a nice Sunday!

UPDATE: there is clearly wrong information provided to the DB inspectors. Our Product team has reported it to DB. Let's hope this won't happen again!