Solved

what is the best way to enter Lake como from Switzerlan?

• 17 February 2024
  • 1 reply

Hi all, 

I am planning a 12 day Switzerland and Italy trip in March with my husband and kid with 7 days in Switzerland and 4 in Italy. Our last destination in Switzerland will be Zermatt and from there we will be heading to Lake Como in Italy followed by Rome. I need suggestions on what is the best way to travel to Lake Como from Zermatt? Should I board a train to Zurich first and then take the Como train or is there any better alternative route which I can follow. Also need suggestions on whether should I opt for  Swiss Travel pass or Euro rail pass for the entire journey? Please advise.

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 17 February 2024, 12:04

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Where are you staying in Lake Como? Como Town or more on the Eastern side, like Varenna?

You could go via Zurich but it's a detour without the best scenery. Best route is :

- Zermatt - Visp/Brig - Andermatt - Göschenen - Bellinzona - Lugano - Como

One change less (they're all straightforward btw, don't worry) if you go all the way to Locarno and make a break there.

It's a full travel day, whichever option you choose. Since you have a limited amount of time, I'd suggest Lago Maggiore (Stresa) instead which is on the route between Zermatt and Rome.

About passes : it's up to you to make calculations. Are you going to peaks such as Jungfraujoch or Gornergrat? The Swiss Half-fare card will give you a bigger discount than Eurail there. Swiss Travel Pass could work too but it's very expensive, you pay for convenience.

If you don't opt for Eurail :

Advance tickets for Milan - Rome high-speed trains will be cheap. Regional train tickets have a fixed price and can be bought at any point.