Solved

What should I do if I have more than 1 inbound and 1 outbound journey?

• 20 December 2021
  • 14 replies

Hey everyone,

I have a 5 days Global Pass. My country of residence is Germany. I was travelling from Sweden to Denmark, then into Germany and tomorrow I wanna leave to England. In January I will come back to Germany. I have just read that I can only use one inbound and one outbound journey. 

What should I do? Should I book a ticket to Brussels without interrail so I don’t use another outbound journey, Will I be able to use interrail from England in January?

Many thanks 

Laura

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 21 December 2021, 15:28

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I have a 5 days Global Pass. My country of residence is Germany. I was travelling from Sweden to Denmark, then into Germany and tomorrow I wanna leave to England. In January I will come back to Germany. I have just read that I can only use one inbound and one outbound journey. 

What should I do? Should I book a ticket to Brussels without interrail so I don’t use another outbound journey, Will I be able to use interrail from England in January?

Work out what the most expensive journey in Germany is and use Interrail for that and book a normal ticket for the other journey(s) in Germany. By the way, you only need to book the German part of the journey. For a journey to Brussels, that is a ticket to Aachen Süd Grenze (tariff border point between Germany and Belgium, only possible at the station or via telephone) or a Sparpreis to Liège. In Belgium, you can use Interrail. In the UK too.

I suppose you've already booked your Eurostar reservation?

Hey thanks for your answer! 
Well I was trying to book the seat reservation but it doesn’t work. I was trying to go from Brussels midi at 12:56 pm to London St. Pancras (arrive at 13:57 pm)
It doesn’t let me book a seat reservation. It says it could be that the train is already booked out for interrail pass holders. But you can still book a normal ticket for 184€ (Which I’m not doing) 

but it also says that seat reservations can only be done 3 hours before departure so could be that I can still book it tomorrow… I don’t know, does someone has any experience with the Eurostar train between Brussels and London? Will I be able to book the seat reservation at the station in Brussels? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi Laura98sophie,

Rvdborgt is right. You can best check the full fare ticket prices of your routes and pick the most expensive one as your inbound/outbound journey. And as explained, for the routes you'll be using point to point ticket, you indeed only need to book the German part of the journey. For the rest of the journey you can use your Pass. 

Regarding the Eurostar reservation, there are limited seats for passholders. So that's why you still see the normal ticket available. Here you can find all information about the Eurostar: https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/trains-europe/high-speed-trains/eurostar. Where does it say that seat reservation can only be done 3 hours before departure? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Well I was trying to book the seat reservation but it doesn’t work. I was trying to go from Brussels midi at 12:56 pm to London St. Pancras (arrive at 13:57 pm)
It doesn’t let me book a seat reservation. It says it could be that the train is already booked out for interrail pass holders. But you can still book a normal ticket for 184€ (Which I’m not doing) 

There's a limited number of seats for pass holders on Eurostar, so it's advisable to book at least a few days in advance. Where did you try to book?

I can see here and here there's no more availability for today, but there are still seats for tomorrow or later.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Where does it say that seat reservation can only be done 3 hours before departure? 

@Nanja here:

https://www.interrail.eu/en/book-reservations/book-your-reservations-online

I also noticed again that using this service requires allowing 3rd party cookies in the browser, or else you can't log in (it keeps failing and retrying). For the short term, you should mention that on this page and  for the longer term, a way should be found to avoid this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

rvdborgt, can you submit the issue here, as feedback (preferably with screenshots), so that our website team can look into it. Thanks. 

Just to clarify, it says '’E-ticket reservations can be booked up to 3 hours before the train's departure'’, meaning that they can be booked no less than 3 hours before departure.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Nebenbei: IF you find tix on EUR* too expensive-and If you qualify for the now much more severe entry rules for the UK-then simply check what a BUS would cost, like FLIX, from BRUssel or Lille. Can save a big bundle. The bus-if it still runs (unsure) usually goes via the ferry, but sometimes via the EuroTunnel freighttrain.

Last sept when I had to leave Spain and there was yet again a trainstrike (huelga) I used the BlaBLa bus to perpignan from Barcelona-this was only 11,99.

Thanks everyone!

Just to clarify, it says '’E-ticket reservations can be booked up to 3 hours before the train's departure'’, meaning that they can be booked no less than 3 hours before departure.

Hey Nanja, thank you for looking it up. I have read the sentence wrong.

I can see here and here there's no more availability for today, but there are still seats for tomorrow or later.

Hey rvdborgt, I have booked a train for tomorrow now. Like you say, there were still seats available.

Just to clarify for me: I have travelled from:

Sweden - Denmark - Germany (used 1 inbound journey)

Germany - Belgium - England (will use 1 outbound journey tomorrow)

And when I come back in January, I will have used all my in-and outbound journeys, so I will use Interrail to come back (England - Belgium) → to cross the border from Belgium to Germany, I will have to buy a normal ticket or try use Flixbus or other cheap travel companies, because I won’t be able to use my interrail ticket in Germany anymore right?

Sorry I’m new to all this it’s bit confusing... 

Thanks, Laura 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Just to clarify for me: I have travelled from:

Sweden - Denmark - Germany (used 1 inbound journey)

Germany - Belgium - England (will use 1 outbound journey tomorrow)

And when I come back in January, I will have used all my in-and outbound journeys, so I will use Interrail to come back (England - Belgium) → to cross the border from Belgium to Germany, I will have to buy a normal ticket or try use Flixbus or other cheap travel companies, because I won’t be able to use my interrail ticket in Germany anymore right? 

That is correct. If you already know on which date you'll return, you can already book a ticket for January: either a (Super)Sparpreis from Liège or a Flexpreis from Aachen Süd Grenze. Or you travel via Hergenrath and then there's some more fare optimisation possible (depending on your destination in Germany).

hey! i have the same problem, i‘m going to cannes, then italy and coming back to switzerland (my country of residence) inbetween. in switzerland i have a GA, it‘s a subscription that let‘s you take every train for free during a year, so i don‘t have to buy a ticket andyways in switzerland. but now i don‘t know how to manage my journeys in the interrail app (where my mobile pass is in). because when i say my travel from cannes - bern i have to use my inbound and i don‘t want that yet, so i thought of just saying that i‘m travelling from cannes - bellegarde which is the last station the train stops in france before switzerland (where i have a ticket for every connection due to my subscription). but what do i do between bellegarde and geneva (the first station our train stops in switzerland). because the interrail is vaild right to the borders of france, but do i have a ticket right to the border when i say i‘m travelling to bellegarde (which is already close to the border but not right there)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There are some experts on this in the Community. I'll tag them for help. @rvdborgt @seewulf 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

hey! i have the same problem, i‘m going to cannes, then italy and coming back to switzerland (my country of residence) inbetween. in switzerland i have a GA, it‘s a subscription that let‘s you take every train for free during a year, so i don‘t have to buy a ticket andyways in switzerland. but now i don‘t know how to manage my journeys in the interrail app (where my mobile pass is in). because when i say my travel from cannes - bern i have to use my inbound and i don‘t want that yet, so i thought of just saying that i‘m travelling from cannes - bellegarde which is the last station the train stops in france before switzerland (where i have a ticket for every connection due to my subscription). but what do i do between bellegarde and geneva (the first station our train stops in switzerland). because the interrail is vaild right to the borders of france, but do i have a ticket right to the border when i say i‘m travelling to bellegarde (which is already close to the border but not right there)

Hi @sofieelina  you just fill the traveldiary / app from the Borderpoint (must be done manually) for example Geneva (Genf) is a borderstation between France & Switzerland. The app recognises Geneva only as swiss stop you have to add the journey manually :/ and then write down Geneva and select France as country. A list with the Swiss Bordertarifpoints can be found on wikipedia :) or on railplanners like bahn.de / DB Navigator marked as Übg. = Übergang.  Most times these “bordertraifpoints” are a place somewhere on the tracks in rare case these are real stations. BorderTarifpoints (Switzerland)

Hi @sofieelina  you just fill the traveldiary / app from the Borderpoint (must be done manually) for example Geneva (Genf) is a borderstation between France & Switzerland. The app recognises Geneva only as swiss stop you have to add the journey manually :/ and then write down Geneva and select France as country. A list with the Swiss Bordertarifpoints can be found on wikipedia :) or on railplanners like bahn.de / DB Navigator marked as Übg. = Übergang.  Most times these “bordertraifpoints” are a place somewhere on the tracks in rare case these are real stations. BorderTarifpoints (Switzerland)

danke! ich verstehe nur nicht ganz was du mit „manuell eingeben“ meinst. in der app muss man ja jede fahrt selber eingeben..und wenn ich genf als zielort eingebe, steht da schon schweiz und ich kann nicht frankreich auswählen..

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Du suchst Genf- keine ahnung Paris und dann ganz unten gibt es die Fläche Fahrt manuell hinzufügen. Draufklicken und dann fragt es dich nach dem Stationsnamen und den Staat, in diesem Fall Geneve und Frankreich. 

ACHTUNG: Wenn du ein iPhone hast, könnte es zu Problemen mit der App kommen, und würde es nicht empfehlen zu tun.