Skip to main content
Solved

What to do when you miss your last connection in a border station ?

• 14 July 2024
  • 5 replies

Hello everyone !

On Thursday 25th. of July I will be travelling from Pisa in Italy to Genève in Switzerland via Nice and Lyon in France. I’ve booked seat reservations with trenitalia as far as the border town of Ventimgilia and should theoretically proceed on to Nice, then Lyon and Finally Geneva. However I’ve noticed that the intercity that I have booked (IC 659) from Genoa to Ventimiglia is almost constantely delayed which could be a problem for me as I have to take the 13h17 train (86042) from Venimiglia to catch my TGV (6850) in Nice to reach my destination. I could go on taking the next train from Ventimiglia but I wouldn’t go further than Lyon as I would arrive after the departure of the last train to Geneva… 

I have asked to trenitalia’s staff multiple times what could I do in this situation but they have always said to me that, with an interrail, they cannot pay me an hotel for the night or give me a normal ticket to continue my journey the next day (According to them, I would have to take an other day of my interrail, which I cannot afford to take as this would leave me no day to come back from my vacations, or that I should pay a normal ticket if seats are still available). Does someone know if this information is correct ? It’s not the forst time that they tell me something that turns out to be false… 

Furthermore, would it be a good idea, in case of a delay at Ventimiglia and the loss of the 13h17 train to Nice, to ask for a new seat reservation for a TGV and continue on to Lyon where I would ask help ? IN hope that the french might be a bit more cooperative but I fear that they wouldn’t know of the delay in Italy and would therefore not assist me. 

I’m sorry for the complex question that I’m asking but I am a bit confused in this situation e don’t really know what I should do...

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It's tricky. SNCF nor Trenitalia won't be helpful.

Intercity trains to Ventimiglia are always late yes (especially due to speed restrictions between Milan and Pavia).

I would avoid that connection altogether, you can get a refund on the TGV. Instead go via Milan or take a Flixbus from Turin.

Unfortunately the most ideal route via Simplon is closed due to works. You could still do something like:

- IC Pisa - Milano Centrale 08:57 - 13:53 3€

- Bus Milano Centrale - Genève 14:35 - 21:15

Passholder reservation for the bus available at Italian and Swiss ticket counters (13€). Otherwise a ticket is really expensive.

You could also go via Domodossola.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Or something like this:

- FB Pisa Centrale - Torino Porta Nuova 09:56 - 13:40

- break in the city center

- Flixbus Turin - Geneva 17:10 - 21:10 19€

Honestly I'd avoid transiting via France. You never know what could happen and the trains are so infrequent...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

To avoid long bus journeys I’d suggest going via Zurich.

You would only need a reservation on a Frecciarossa connection Pisa - Milan.

then hourly connections at xx.43 from Milan,

eg

08.32 RE Pisa - Florence 09.33

09.55 FR Florence - Milan 11.50

12.43 RE Milan to Lugano 13.58,

14.02 IC Lugano  - Zurich 16.55

IC 17.04 Zurich - Geneve 19.47

I see… Indeed, I generally go through the Simplon tunnel to get to Switzerland, this time I was thinking about annother route (in part to avoid the bus replacement or the gotthard) but it really seems like it will not be an easy trip… . I might consider taking the bus via domodossola… 

Thank you for your answers ! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I didn't mention it previously but you could also consider the Centovalli route (Locarno - Domo) or Novara - Domodossola. The latter doesn't run frequently though.