Solved

whats the difference between reserving ticket with and without ?eurail pass

• 30 December 2023
  • 9 replies

I  am planning to buy eurail pass. What is the difference between reserving train with and without eurail pass. Let's say the cost of the ticket is 100€ without pass. If I reserve along with pass, would there be any difference in the total amount I would pay? Like some amount from pass +reservation fee. Or regardless of the  pass I still have to pay 100€.

icon

Best answer by Hektor 30 December 2023, 17:02

View original

9 replies

It depends. But as a general rule: If you buy a normal ticket, it does include the reservation if a reservation is mandatory. So you don’t have to pay additional to get a reservation. The reservation is included with your ticket price.

If there’s no reservation needed but possible, you’ll have to pay most of the time (regardless of ticket type / railpass) the same amount. But normally, these reservations aren’t expensive.

But it depends on country and train company. So these are just very general rules.

It depends. But as a general rule: If you buy a normal ticket, it does include the reservation if a reservation is mandatory. So you don’t have to pay additional to get a reservation.

If there’s no reservation needed but possible, you’ll have to pay for it most of the time (regardless of ticket type / railpass). 

But it depends on country and train company, 

So you are saying I still have to pay entire 100€ with pass ?

No, because you won’t need a ticket. The railpass is your ticket.

If there’s no mandatory reservation, you may just board the train without any additional cost.

If there’s a mandatory reservation, you’ll have to pay for it (but it depends on country and train company how much it is).

If there’s a optional reservation possible, you may reserve if you’d like to have a seat for sure. 

Sorry, no I meant for the trains which require reservation like TGV or euro rail trains.

Sorry, no I meant for the trains which require reservation like TGV or euro rail trains.

If a reservation is mandatory, you’ll have to pay for it if you are holding a railpass (if you’d buy a normal ticket, the reservation would be (normally) included).

Some examples for railpass reservations:

The reservation fee for TGV in France is 10 € or (if the train is already very busy) 20 €.

Eurostar from Bruxelles or Paris to London is 30 € 2nd class or 38 € 1st class. Eurostar on other routes not going to the UK are between 20 and 37 € (depending on travel class and route). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Domestic TGVs have a 10€ limited reservation fare, then it's 20€ until the train sells out.

There are no Eurorail trains, do you mean Eurostar ? 27-32€ reservation depending on the route + passholder quota (one of the least Eurail friendly companies)

Have a look at https://www.seat61.com/how-to-use-a-eurail-pass.htm​​​​​https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

The Eurail Pass is your ticket and sometimes you need to add a reservation on top of that.

The Eurail Pass is your ticket and sometimes you need to add a reservation on top of that.

This is where I am confused. If the reservation cost is 35€, would I get any reduction in the amount with pass or I still have to pay 35€ with pass.

This is where I am confused. If the reservation cost is 35€, would I get any reduction in the amount with pass or I still have to pay 35€ with pass.

If you do buy a normal ticket, you normally won’t need this additional reservation because it’s already included in your ticket price. This one is normally just for railpass holder (regarding e.g. TGV and Eurostar). So you’d have to pay it, but other people with a normal ticket won’t. As written: general rule.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The 35€ is the reservation fee for a Railpass Holder (Interrail / Eurail) 
Normal tickets for Eurostar are quite more epensive ;) 

Keep in mind that seats for Railpassusers are limited on Eurostar services :/ Because of that make sure you get the reservations asap (and check if the reservations for your prefered train can be bought before buying the passes)