Solved

When booking a train from Edinburgh to London should I use my family and friends Railcard or my Global Pass?

• 22 August 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

Eurail.com doesn’t let me buy reservations for a train from Edinburgh to London on 26/9/22.  

If I buy from somewhere like trainline.com it doesn’t give me the option to use my Globalpass.  I do have a family and friends railcard that I can use but don’t know which way is the best way to go

Thanks for your help in advance :)

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 26 August 2022, 21:23

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Trains in the UK don't need reservations but you can reserve seats for no cost on the operators own site, lner. co.uk

Global pass every time in UK

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

When you travel in the UK you should not pay anything more than what you already have paid for your global pass. Seat reservations for day trains are free in the UK. @Al_G Where is the best way to make the free seat reservations ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Just returned from the UK :). Don’t pay ever for reservations in the UK. Reservations are free there!

Since there’s more than 20 train companies in the UK; the best place to make reservations all over the UK is GWR (Great Western Railway). If you make an account on their website you can reserve for every route all over the UK that has mandatory or recommended reservations. Downside is that you cannot pick your seat (unless by a route from GWR themselves).

But for London Edinburgh; you can do it here https://www.lner.co.uk/travel-information/make-a-reservation/. You also get some updates on possible delays then and you can pick your seats.

Badge +1

Thank you, that’s a great help.  On LNER i can only make reservations max 4 at a time.  It would be great to be able to sit together.  Do you think it’s ok to wait until we arrive in edinburgh on the 21st and book 6 at the station to travel on the 26th?  And, how likely is it that there will be delays etc because we have brought tickets to the soccer in London that same night.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You can reserve in London for your Edinburgh return

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thank you, that’s a great help.  On LNER i can only make reservations max 4 at a time.  It would be great to be able to sit together.  Do you think it’s ok to wait until we arrive in edinburgh on the 21st and book 6 at the station to travel on the 26th?  And, how likely is it that there will be delays etc because we have brought tickets to the soccer in London that same night.

You can always do two seperate reservations 4 persons + 2 persons, and pick seats (or manually change the seats) so that you can sit together on the LNER website. Usually no problem to book shorter in advance. The longer you wait, the more difficult it might get to set with your six together I reckon, but you since you’re not travelling on a friday, weekends or bank holiday I wouldn’t worry.

Badge +1

I’m flying into Edinburgh on the 21st.  If I go straight to the Waverley train station will I be able to reserve us 6 seats for us together on the Edinburgh - London line for travel on the 26th?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’m flying into Edinburgh on the 21st.  If I go straight to the Waverley train station will I be able to reserve us 6 seats for us together on the Edinburgh - London line for travel on the 26th?

Yes you can.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yes you can.

Be sure to let them know you have a Eurail pass if they ask you if you have tickets.

I came through London Kings Cross yesterday and picked up reservations at the ticket office for an earlier train than I had planned. They will actually give reservations up to 5 mins before departure, so five days earlier should be no problem.

They also have an unreserved coach on their trains.