Solved

Where I can start to use the Eurail Austria Pass when I move from Zurich to Innsbruck?

• 12 July 2022
  • 5 replies

• Rail rookie
  • 2 replies

Hi, I am planning to move from Zurich to Innsbruck but I am confused with the coverage of Austria Pass.

It seems that I can use my Swiss travel pass from Zurich to Buchs SG (in Switzerland), but is it possible to use Austria Pass from Buchs SG to Innsbruck? 

Or, should I use it from Feldkirch (in Austria, the next station of Buchs SG) to Innsbruck and buy the ticket from Buchs SG to Feldkirch separately?

It would be thankful if someone enlightens me about this :)

icon

Best answer by Angelo 12 July 2022, 20:12

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The border station is Buchs SG, but in the app is the station as Switzerland. From there the train line is of the Austrian Railways ÖBB, also when till Feldkirch you are in Lichtenstein and not Austria, but Eurail Austria is valid there. 

You have to add the train manually in the app as starting in Buchs SG (Austria) to Innsbruck (Austria) (NOTE: do not do this with an iPhone, due to a bug in the iOS version of the app). 

Maybe next time you could buy directly a Eurail Global Pass wich is valid in both countries and other 30 in Europe. 

Thank you! Your information is really helpful.

Next time I will put the Eurail Global Pass in my calculation. This time it is already too late to cancel Swiss travel pass...

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Oh you have Swiss travel pass. You could use the bus line to Feldkirch instead. This is included in the swiss travel pass. 

Here the travel map of the validity of Swiss travel system. 

Gültigkeitsbereich - Swiss Travel Pass | Swiss Travel System (swiss-pass.ch)

Or you can run via Scuol-Tarasp and Martina to Landeck-Zams. From there you are in Austria you can take every train to Innsbruck. Or you can run via St. Margarethen from there to the Lake Constance. Or also a possibility via Müstair to Italy to Malls/Malles, from there via Glurns (church tower middle in a lake) to Nauders (AUT) or Martina (CH) and from there to Landeck-Zams.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

However-the STP does cover a lot more IN Swiss as the EUrail global-also all postal buses and urban bus/tram, many more mountain lines and also museums.

Depending on where you travel in AT=Austria there may also be many more local /regional passes that offer much more at low price.

@Angelo Wow I could not think about this possibility! I will also think about those bus lines if moving with luggage is not so burdensome. 

@mcadv Right, because of the extra benefits coming from the STP the calculation became complex. I am also kind of running out of time to recalculate all transportation fee taking account of the Eurail global pass 😅