New release

[expired] You are all invited to test our NEW reservation timetable [beta version] now!

[expired] You are all invited to test our NEW reservation timetable [beta version] now!
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 874 replies

Dear Eurail and Interrail-ers (to be)

We need YOUR help to test and play around with our new reservation timetable [beta version] :arrow_right:
[expired] https://www.interrail.eu/en/book-reservations/new-reservation-timetable
[expired] https://www.eurail.com/en/book-reservations/new-reservation-timetable

It fully operates like the old reservation timetable so you can go ahead and book your reservation tickets via the tool. 

Note: There is a bug in the BETA version tool: the add to cart button is not working. We are looking into it. 

Please share your feedback in the comments below :point_down_tone2: or via a private message.

Note: Thank you for all of your valuable input! The new reservation timetable is now live and can be found here:
https://www.interrail.eu/en/book-reservations#/
https://www.eurail.com/en/book-reservations#/

44 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for the heads up :)

First remark:

When I want to change the date or time, I only get to see about half of the pop-up:

When I drag the scrollbar, then the pop-up disappears. this is on my laptop in Chrome on Windows 10.

It seems to me that this pop-up is rather long and also the bar at the bottom of the screen is taking quite some space. Also, when dragging the scrollbar, the pop-up should remain visible. You could also split the date and time settings, e.g. like DB does, so the pop-up can be smaller.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks for the invitation to comment 

I checked one route and gave up in despair. 

Copenhagen, DK- Narvik, NO... It said that there are no more trains today whereas there are at least 5 trains to Stockholm which is the start of the direct trains to Narvik.

It did give me one drop of inspiration, a route via Lund in Sweden that l would never have considered.

What it does do well is show all the different reservation fees for each segment. Impressive. 

Now, l will try a couple of longer routes that l know well and are "troublesome" to see how it copes. I will report back. Thanks again 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Narvik, NO - Helsinki SF

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Two screenshot above^^

A tricky one Narvik in Norway to Palermo in Italy. Some of the options and information is excellent. Others... Less so. 

What it does is give you a number of choices which is excellent but if you are not careful you have an unnecessary 7 hour wait overnight at Frederica or an "impossible" dash across Milan between stations. 

As someone who has worked on databases for 20 years, l was reasonably impressed and again the Interrail caveat that if they don't get given the complete and up to date timetables, they can only work with the information that they have. 

Also fair to say not many would want to do that journey non-stop! 

Work through and see what's best for you! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you use this page without logging in, it will now show the price of the supplements and that's a good thing. However, it does not do an availability check. This means you can only check availability after you've bought a pass, whereas I'd sometimes like to check availability before buying a pass, since buying the pass sometimes only makes sense if pass holder seats are available.

Are there any plans to make the availability check available for people who have not bought a pass yet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

While researching this issue, I noticed that the new reservation tool seems to reload the page again and again, endlessly. Maybe that's related to the fact that reservation is not possible at the moment for the first connection in the list? The old tool displays the grey "!”.

This was a search from Frankfurt Hbf to Paris on 12 May at 12:00. This was my URL:

https://www.interrail.eu/en/book-reservations/new-reservation-timetable?ol=FRANKFURT%28MAIN%29HBF+%28GERMANY%29&ov=008011068&dl=PARIS+%28FRANCE%29&dv=008724855&vl=&vv=&t=1652349600000&ar=false&rt=&tt=&mc=&mct=0#/

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

FYI: There is a bug in the BETA version tool: the add to cart button is not working. We are looking into it. 

It is not possible for me to see what I am writing on my galaxy s7 SM-G930F android 8.0.0 (in above screenshot I wrote prague but it only shows results, thus misspellings can be annoying since it searches for exact matches)

The feedback button is hiding the price of the seat reservation, even when scrolling 

Idea: Link directly to the webpage (being interrail.eu, bahn.de etc) where seat reservation booking is possible, by clicking on the price shown in searches.

If you use this page without logging in, it will now show the price of the supplements and that's a good thing. However, it does not do an availability check. This means you can only check availability after you've bought a pass, whereas I'd sometimes like to check availability before buying a pass, since buying the pass sometimes only makes sense if pass holder seats are available.

Are there any plans to make the availability check available for people who have not bought a pass yet?

Dear rvborgt,
Thank you for you time testing our BETA version.
The timetabel without login will only show you indication prices (so no real prices requested by a booking system). This is possible becasue the pass holder reservation prices don't change very often.

We can only request the real price from a booking system if the user is logged-in and the data of all travellers is available. Our new tool also checks if you are allowed to travel on a certain route or on a specific date based on your pass data.

When it comes to the availabilit; we actually removed this in the new tool. Getting a price offer from a booking system unfortunatelly does not mean the seat is still available. There exist separate requests to the booking systems to check availability (we have this in our old tool) but they were never reliable and only when we really try to book the ticket we get a real answer if this is still possible.
We got a lot of complains from customers saying “in the search you tell me the train is availbale … and if try to book it is failing...” so we decided not to show the availability anymore.
There is no technical solution for us at the moment.

And yes this means you cannot check availability before you have a pass.

Thanks for the heads up :)

First remark:

When I want to change the date or time, I only get to see about half of the pop-up:

When I drag the scrollbar, then the pop-up disappears. this is on my laptop in Chrome on Windows 10.

It seems to me that this pop-up is rather long and also the bar at the bottom of the screen is taking quite some space. Also, when dragging the scrollbar, the pop-up should remain visible. You could also split the date and time settings, e.g. like DB does, so the pop-up can be smaller.

Thank you for this feedback, we will redesign the date picker and find a solution.

Two screenshot above^^

A tricky one Narvik in Norway to Palermo in Italy. Some of the options and information is excellent. Others... Less so. 

What it does is give you a number of choices which is excellent but if you are not careful you have an unnecessary 7 hour wait overnight at Frederica or an "impossible" dash across Milan between stations. 

As someone who has worked on databases for 20 years, l was reasonably impressed and again the Interrail caveat that if they don't get given the complete and up to date timetables, they can only work with the information that they have. 

Also fair to say not many would want to do that journey non-stop! 

Work through and see what's best for you! 

Dear Steve,
Thank you for your time and you feedback.
Actually we are working non stop on improving our timetable data and have a weekly update now on the website. We are also working on getting more carriers on board. We will add data for Irland soon :)
But this was not changed for this new reservation tool.

In the new tool we try to show more clearly if a certain trains needs a reservation or not and what the possible options are (like facilities, stops, etc.). We also added several filters to make it easier to find trains without reservations, or search for certain train types or add transfer time, etc.  
This way you can get other route options.

While researching this issue, I noticed that the new reservation tool seems to reload the page again and again, endlessly. Maybe that's related to the fact that reservation is not possible at the moment for the first connection in the list? The old tool displays the grey "!”.

This was a search from Frankfurt Hbf to Paris on 12 May at 12:00. This was my URL:

https://www.interrail.eu/en/book-reservations/new-reservation-timetable?ol=FRANKFURT%28MAIN%29HBF+%28GERMANY%29&ov=008011068&dl=PARIS+%28FRANCE%29&dv=008724855&vl=&vv=&t=1652349600000&ar=false&rt=&tt=&mc=&mct=0#/

yes this was a bug and we already fixed it 

FYI: There is a bug in the BETA version tool: the add to cart button is not working. We are looking into it. 

We are still looking into this issue. We get feedback from a lot of users about this bug, but we still are not able to find the cause. We need more information what a user did before the error happend. 

It is not possible for me to see what I am writing on my galaxy s7 SM-G930F android 8.0.0 (in above screenshot I wrote prague but it only shows results, thus misspellings can be annoying since it searches for exact matches)

Thank you NextDeparture,
this is a bug related to the brad changes we made recently. We will fix this asap

The feedback button is hiding the price of the seat reservation, even when scrolling 

Thank you NextDeparture,
We checked this. Unfortunatelly the feedback tool we are using is not giving us a better option.
We tried at the bottom or on the right side but it always overlaps with something. It is possible to scroll and then the prices will be in view.
So we have to leave it like this for now

Idea: Link directly to the webpage (being interrail.eu, bahn.de etc) where seat reservation booking is possible, by clicking on the price shown in searches.

We actually show alternative ways to book (if available) under the link "How and when to book” below each leg. You can check it out.

When logged in and if you have a valid pass (in your screen I see you where not logged in and used the normal timetable without the reservation function) you see real prices incl. booking fee and seating options and can selecting an option and add the train to cart and book it.

If I try to make a seat reservation from Göteborg to Oslo, I get this error message. Trains from Göteborg to Oslo, which are not direct trains, can be booked, but not direct connections. Same problem at the “old” reservation tool.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thank you for all of your valuable input! The new reservation timetable is now live and can be found here:

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thank you for all of your valuable input! The new reservation timetable is now live and can be found here:

@Nanja  the website says:

Not Found

The requested URL was not found on this server.

Same when I go via interrail.eu to book reservations. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Now it’s working, yesterday evening it was not working.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Please also check pages that still refer to the old URL of the reservation module, such as:

https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/reservations/how-do-i-book-my-reservations

The old URL should either forward to the new location, or the pages containing the old URL should be changed.