Solved

5 day pass vs 7 day pass

• 20 July 2023
  • 3 replies

I have mapped out my trip using the Eurorail tool and it appears I only need 5 days of travel. But the website is promoting me use 6-7 days travel. Any reason why this might happen? 

I think you cannot add days on so I do not want to make a mistake , but I also do not want to pay for extra travel days if I do not need them. 

My itinerary 

Paris → Bolzano (taxi to dolomiti) 

Bolzano → Venice 

Venice → Bari 

Bari→ Salerno 

Salerno→ Rome 

Also wondering if I just do a 1 country pass. And get a single train ticket from Paris to Bolzano?

Right now I think it suggests a Flexi pass, with France to Italy travel. 

Just trying to find the most logical and savvy way to travel. 

Secondly, do you recommend the NIGHT TRAIN for my 9+ hour trips? 

Thank you so much! 

Madison

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 20 July 2023, 23:50

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The planning tool doesn't know how to count basically. You know best how many days you may need.

I would get a Global Pass as the price difference is not that big and tickets between France and Italy aren't exactly cheap.

When would you like to travel ? I guess you're talking about the night train between Paris and Munich ? Be aware that it doesn't run daily until next year (hopefully). Night trains are also very popular so book well in advance. With a Eurail pass you only pay accommodation so about 30€ for a couchette, more for a sleeper.

You need to add seat reservations on high-speed trains. In Italy :

- 13€ Frecciarossa trains

- 3€ IC trains

Those are best bought on tickets.oebb.at (no booking fee) : add Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets.

Paris - Bolzano is doable via Munich, Switzerland or Milan. Which route did you have in mind ? I'd suggest the first one : 17€ mandatory seat reservation for a high-speed train between France and Germany.

Tickets bought well in advance could be cheaper than a pass + seat reservations so do check on trenitalia.com

Do not hesitate for questions :)

Thank you for your help. 

I would love to ask a few more questions if you are will to answer. 

We will be there 2 weeks in September.

So you are suggesting to purchase train tickets in advanced via tickets.oebb.at in addition to Eurail pass. Or just use trenitalia, no Eurail? Are these separate platforms from the eurail app. That is what I was using when looking up routes. Although I have not bought a pass yet. 

What is the point of a pass, if I still have to buy addition tickets? It that just to reserve a seat. 

I definitely would like the cheapest option, if it still allows us to optimize our time. 

That is the reason why I was considering night train for our longer trips so we do not waste 10 hours traveling during the day.

How do I search for night trains and high speed trains? Euraail app or the platforms you provided? 

Thank you again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

So you are suggesting to purchase train tickets in advanced via tickets.oebb.at in addition to Eurail pass.

Your pass is your ticket. Some trains have mandatory reservations and tickets.oebb.at can be used to book some of them.

Or just use trenitalia, no Eurail? Are these separate platforms from the eurail app. That is what I was using when looking up routes. Although I have not bought a pass yet.

The rail planner app is not reliable, among other things because it is not updated frequently enough. A more reliable planner for international journeys is bahn.com.

What is the point of a pass, if I still have to buy addition tickets? It that just to reserve a seat.

Nobody suggested to buy additional tickets. Only seat reservations.

I definitely would like the cheapest option, if it still allows us to optimize our time. 

That is the reason why I was considering night train for our longer trips so we do not waste 10 hours traveling during the day.

If you travel through the alps, I wouldn't call that wasted time. You won't be bored by just looking out the window.

How do I search for night trains and high speed trains? Euraail app or the platforms you provided?

Start with bahn.com.