Advice on Milan to Stockholm trip

Hello all,

I am from Stockholm, Sweden.  Currently, I am in Milan and planning to go Stockholm from Milan but I am confused somehow which route should I use and how should I plan. I will have monthly global pass with 4 days travel in a month, so, through this pass I just want to reach Stockholm by exploring some other countries as well. It is my first time to travel through interrail so that is why I do not have much idea about routes and train timings. I need to get idea specially about night trains because I was searching the night trains but there are very rare that after mid night train works from Milan (Italy).  Could you please suggest me some best routes and some guidance as well regarding train timings, stops, reservation cost, bookings and etc. Thanks  

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Use a good planner such as bahn.com and DB Navigator app to start, they're more reliable than Rail Planner. When would you like to travel ?

Night trains are very popular so most of August is sold out. Do check if there is some last-minute availability remaining.

On your route there would be :

- Zurich - Hamburg (Nightjet)

- Zurich - Berlin (Nightjet)

- Berlin - Hamburg - Stockholm (SJ and Snålltäget)

Only the departure day counts as a pass day so you can board a night train before midnight without using a second day.

The route is also possible by daytime trains in at least 2 days. Hamburg and Copenhagen are obvious stops but you've got loads of options.

The route between Hamburg and Copenhagen has mandatory reservations (very popular so book well in advance) : 73 CZK or 3€ on cd.cz. There are alternatives but it takes longer.

Dear thibcabe,

Thank you so much for your kind response. I am planning to start from Milan on August 04. I would like to know do I need to book every train ticket before my departure, if yes then how I can book? Where I can check last minute availability? Could you please elaborate this more for me “Only the departure day counts as a pass day so you can board a night train before midnight without using a second day.” what do you mean exactly like I can board a night train before mid night without using a second day?

I want to travel on night trains and want to spend some time on day in exploring the cities (Vienna, Prague, Warsaw). I have checked on interrail map, there can be route like milan-vienna-prague-warsaw-berling-humberg-copenhagen-stockholm. Will it be possible in 3 pass days and given my dates like from august 4 or 5? Which apps should I use to book ticket for this route and how much reservation cost can be expected and how can I minimize the reservation cost? Your thoughts on this matter are highly appreciable.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Night trains have mandatory reservations so yes you need to book in advance. If the train is full, you're not allowed to board. Some daytime trains have mandatory reservations but not the majority of them.

Book through the companies, you can also better check availability there. To Vienna it's nightjet.com, Prague - Warsaw cd.cz and Berlin - Hamburg - Copenhagen - Stockholm sj.se or snalltaget.se.

There are only seats remaining on the Milan (Rogoredo) - Vienna night train on 4th August. I'd suggest going to Bologna and taking another night train from there which has couchettes and sleepers available.

Milan - Bologna : 3€ IC train or 13€ Frecciarossa, best bought on tickets.oebb.at (no booking fee) : add Interrail as a discount and select one-way tickets.

Last-minute availability isn't shown elsewhere than usual. Use the companies websites.

If you board a night train at 23:45 on 4th August, only 4th August will count as a pass day. Of course you cannot take other trains the next morning without using a new pass day.

Do not hesitate for questions. With a 4 day pass you'll indeed have to remove a few stops unless you visit them quickly during the day. Book night trains ASAP !

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Lots of questions in your last post. If you want to visit all of the cities mentioned above with a 4 days pass: it won’t be possible (or you’ll only visit them for a month). You’ll need to make choices on what to visit and what not.

Milan-Vienna-Prague-Warsaw-Berlin-Hamburg-Copenhagen-Stockholm → I count easily 5, more like 6 or 7 travel days, if you want to properly visit these cities.

Night trains are very, very popular. Finding free seats, couchettes or sleepers on such short notice will be difficult.

Here you find a map of all active night trains, check on the respective night trains website if they still have availability.

https://back-on-track.eu/night-train-map/

As soon as you take another train after midnight, it’ll cost you a travel day. Minimising reservation cost, can be done by booking directly at the websites. Or by taking day trains with optional reservations.

Up to you know to make a new planning though.

Dear BrendanDB,

Thank you for your response. My main concern is to visit some famous places in Vienna, Prague and Warsaw only, just in day time and take night trains to move to other destination. For other cities I have no intentions to visit and if I can get direct trains like just passing from Berlin-Hamberg-Copenhagen and then finally reach to Stockholm (May be I have to transfer trains as well during this way). More specifically, what I am thinking is that to just take night trains from Milan or Bologna to reach Vienna and then spend some  day time in Vienna and then again take night train from Vienna and go to Prague, spend some day time and then move to Warsaw by taking night train and after visiting Warsaw then just go to Stockholm. However, I do not know exactly the feasibility of this plan. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions regarding this hypothetical plan or can suggest me better plan?

Night trains have mandatory reservations so yes you need to book in advance. If the train is full, you're not allowed to board. Some daytime trains have mandatory reservations but not the majority of them.

Book through the companies, you can also better check availability there. To Vienna it's nightjet.com, Prague - Warsaw cd.cz and Berlin - Hamburg - Copenhagen - Stockholm sj.se or snalltaget.se.

There are only seats remaining on the Milan (Rogoredo) - Vienna night train on 4th August. I'd suggest going to Bologna and taking another night train from there which has couchettes and sleepers available.

Milan - Bologna : 3€ IC train or 13€ Frecciarossa, best bought on tickets.oebb.at (no booking fee) : add Interrail as a discount and select one-way tickets.

Last-minute availability isn't shown elsewhere than usual. Use the companies websites.

If you board a night train at 23:45 on 4th August, only 4th August will count as a pass day. Of course you cannot take other trains the next morning without using a new pass day.

Do not hesitate for questions. With a 4 day pass you'll indeed have to remove a few stops unless you visit them quickly during the day. Book night trains ASAP !

I have checked at tcikets.oebb.at for reservation of ticket but i found that there is 13.50 euro ticket (from bologna to Vienna). could you please refer to the link and let me know am i searching on right place?. https://shop.oebbtickets.at/en/ticket/timetable

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Use a good planner such as bahn.com and DB Navigator app to start, they're more reliable than Rail Planner. When would you like to travel ?

I know that the expert-opinion on the app in this community is not to use it for any planning. However I disagree for the current situation of Mohsin02, which is the very first moment of idea-generation for a trip:

• the app immediately shows which trains are included in the pass;
  • the app even calculates long journeys of multiple days with many trains. I have soon official journey planners like DB refusing this;
  • the app shows a map of the journey, nicely visualising the cities where you get to, and what excursions could be added.

Once the trip gets more firm, I do agree it is better to use official planners like DB. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I have checked at tcikets.oebb.at for reservation of ticket but i found that there is 13.50 euro ticket (from bologna to Vienna). could you please refer to the link and let me know am i searching on right place?. https://shop.oebbtickets.at/en/ticket/timetable

Yes a reclining seat costs 13.50€. I'd recommend a couchette for 30-40€ if you'd like to sleep better though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I know that the expert-opinion on the app in this community is not to use it for any planning. However I disagree for the current situation of Mohsin02, which is the very first moment of idea-generation for a trip:

• the app immediately shows which trains are included in the pass;

There are still many errors in this field, unfortunately.

• the app even calculates long journeys of multiple days with many trains. I have soon official journey planners like DB refusing this;

IIRC DB can plan with at least 10 trains in a journey. It's very seldom I hit that limit.

• the app shows a map of the journey, nicely visualising the cities where you get to, and what excursions could be added.

DB used to have that too but it seems to have disappeared. Or I don't look in the right place.

Hello all,

I am from Stockholm, Sweden.  Currently, I am in Milan and planning to go Stockholm from Milan but I am confused somehow which route should I use and how should I plan. I will have monthly global pass with 4 days travel in a month, so, through this pass I just want to reach Stockholm by exploring some other countries as well. It is my first time to travel through interrail so that is why I do not have much idea about routes and train timings. I need to get idea specially about night trains because I was searching the night trains  but there are very rare that after mid night train works from Milan (Italy). Could you please suggest me some best routes and some guidance as well regarding train timings, stops, reservation cost, bookings and etc. Thanks  

I'm eager to explore two vibrant cities, but I'm uncertain about the best route and whether I should make reservations. It seems that some trains require reservations, while others don't, and the information online can be a bit overwhelming. I'd appreciate some guidance on which trains to take and whether I should book in advance to ensure a smooth and enjoyable journey between these two European gems. Thanks for any insights or advice you can offer!