Amsterdam - Lisbon. What is the best route?

• 12 June 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello! What is the best route by train from Amsterdam to Lisbon? First I tried to book Amsterdam- Paris, Paris- Hendaye, Hendaye-Lisbon but I can’t find any train between hendaye and Lisbon. I’m going to Lisbon July 20. 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello! What is the best route by train from Amsterdam to Lisbon? First I tried to book Amsterdam- Paris, Paris- Hendaye, Hendaye-Lisbon but I can’t find any train between hendaye and Lisbon 

Because there is none train between Hendaye - Lisbon anymore :/

The are two routes now to Lisbon via Porto/Vigo or via Badajoz
As Spanish rail doesnt share the entire timetable i recommend to search on renfe.com for your connections :) The next more difficult step is then to reserve these trains.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

best site for this: seat61.com-lists all overland options from UK-so hook on at some point. Also note that TLS superfast trains Ams-Par are fast but also quite costly with a pass=nearly same as their lowest prices tickets.

Only feasible way for you is via Barcelona-Madrid and this is by far not an easy journey and also in main saseon hopelessly overcrowded by far too many passholders who all seem to ant to make exactly just this trip.

It depends on how trustful you are to ms. Gretha or how open minded: perhaps the FLIX bus from say Bordeaux to Lisb is the best solution. if you do not want to visit Bcn-mad.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For Portugal, check:

https://www.seat61.com/Portugal.htm

When travelling via Hendaye, look for connections from Irún to Lisbon. Between Hendaye and Irún only Euskotren is currently running (every 30 minutes) but their timetables are only on their own website.

Hoi Iskra,

I go the 25th of juli from Amsterdam- Porto.

Booked till Biarritz.. and also have problems to book traveling thrue Spain till Porto. I will try to go in Biarritz to the international ticket desk at the train station and ask if they can help me. if that does not work, i'll take a Flix bus, but it drives most of the trip at night so you can't see a lot. Because you go 5 days earlier, can you be so kind and mail me how you managed it?  adabont@gmail.com

Thanx a lot!

Ada