Solved

Amsterdam --> valencia

• 28 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Hii all, 

On the 10th or 11th of september I want to go home to Valencia by train, but I’m struggling to find the proper route. Can anybody help me? 

• I am open to use train and also bus (from Barcelona to Valencia for example).
  • I don’t want to wait at a train station in the middle of the night 
  • I can leave amsterdam the 10th or the 11th of september.
  • I have a huge suitcase so preferably with few transfers

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 28 August 2023, 17:01

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

You’re travelling with a pass or ordinary tickets?

It’s impossible to do in one day. So you might want to break your journey up into two parts (and stop somewhere in the south of France, Nîmes, Montpellier, Perpignan, or Barcelona...)

The fastest way, is the most expensive way (with Thalys reservations, that can sell out.) Most direct Amsterdam-Paris trains are sold out already on sunday 10/09. Better go for 11/09

This might be interesting:

Get your Thalys seat reservation ASAP here:

https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish (still places on the 11/09 07:11 Thalys to Paris, but do not wait to book it!

Then buy the Paris Barcelona TGV via the reservation tool here on the website of Interrail or by calling SNCF.

Find accomodation in Barcelona, and continue the day after.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Another option here for Sunday if you'd like to make it to the south of France as soon as possible. :)

- Thalys Amsterdam Centraal - Marne-la-Vallée TGV 07:15 - 10:48 27€

- TGV Marne-la-Vallée TGV - Nîmes Pont du Gard 12:13 - 15:30 20€ (also possible to continue to Montpellier Sud de France in the suburbs)

- TER Nîmes Pont du Gard - Nîmes Centre 16:03 - 16:11

You could continue to Barcelona on the same day but you'd arrive at 21:25 (+25€ extra).

One more change and an hour extra but a bit of money saved :

- IC Amsterdam Centraal - Bruxelles-Midi 06:28 - 09:16

- TGV Bruxelles-Midi - Lille-Europe 10:17 - 10:52 19€ regular ticket

- change of seats only. There's a passholder quota out of Brussels and it is sold out.

- TGV Lille-Europe - Nîmes Pont du Gard 11:03 - 15:30 20€

The next day TGV to Barcelona (25€) or reservation-free route via Portbou.

Do not hesitate for further questions.

I’ll travel with a pass so i can go for free (except for train reservations). There is absolutely no way to go in day? Even if I combine it with a bus for example…? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes the price above are the seat reservations. Only Brussels - Lille is a regular ticket because the passholder quota is sold out.

It's not really possible to do it in a day, remember that it is a 19h car journey without breaks...

If you really want to arrive in Valencia without spending a night somewhere there are ALSA buses from Barcelona for 33€ : 22:00 - 02:15 or 23:30 - 03:45. The bus station is far from the train station so the 22:00 bus seems too tight. For that price and after a full 15h travel day I'd recommend staying in Barcelona (or before in Nîmes, Montpellier,...).

Of course if you don't want to use a second pass day you can either pay for a regular bus or train ticket the following morning.

We have shown you the best options since as Brendan advised most Thalys trains out of Amsterdam are sold out.

Thanks a lot, you are helping a lot! I booked the seat reservation for the 7:11 train to paris nord, but now I notice that from gare du nord to barcelona sants is probably sold out… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I don’t think it’s sold out. Still some places left with ordinary tickets. Best call SNCF then, to make that reservation.

Or other options:

The TGVs between Paris and Barcelona can be booked:

• Via Interrail.eu/eurail.com (2€ booking fee per person and train, from 90 days in advance, delivery via e-mail).
  • Via French railways (SNCF) ticket office or by phone (press #85 for English, no booking fee, delivery via e-mail).
  • Via a Luxembourg (CFL) international ticket office or by phone. Booking fee €5, reservation can be sent via email.
  • Via a Dutch (NS) international ticket office or by phone. No booking fee (because reservations are not available on the NS website and ticket machines), reservation is sent via email.
  • Via a Belgian (NMBS/SNCB) international ticket office or by phone. No booking fee, reservation is sent via email but phone number is not cheap.
  • Via a Swiss (SBB/CFF/FSS) ticket office or by phone (scroll down to Switzerland). Unknown if reservations can be sent via e-mail. Send me a message if you find out.