Solved

Basel - Ancona - Patras

Badge

Hi!

I am planning to go visit the greek islands with a 6 day pass (+ maybe a 4 day pass).

Now I have the following question:

I know that with the 6 day pass, I have two international days and I know that night connections only count as 1 international day (departure).

When I looked up the connection, I realised that the ferry between Ancona and Patras makes a stop in Igoumenitsa.

Now: I couldnt find out, if the ferry just stops there or if I have to change the ferry. And more importantly if it still counts as "one trip" (-> Ancona to Patras) or if its a different / seperate trip, because that would mean that I had to use a second international day.

Does anyone know that? Thanks for reading thus far :)

Greetings

Daniel & Maria

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 6 July 2023, 08:01

View original

13 replies

Badge

Can we also use the pass foe the outbound journey out of Switzerland (homecountry) or does the international day only count outside of the homecountry?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

EDIT : You were asking about the Greek Islands pass so I don't know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

If I understood correctly, the two International days, are intended to use the ferry Greece-Italy. You’ll need to look for ordinary train tickets to get to Ancona.

For your first question, no idea. But my educated guess will be, that even if you require a change to another ferry, you’ll need another travel day. But not an international one, as Igoumenitsa is already Greece.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

AFAIK there's no change of ferry needed at Igoumenitsa.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I habe used the Patra-Bari ferry bus Igoumenitsa previously and it was nonstop. Logistic-wise wouldn’t make sense to offload and onload a ferry again so I don’t think you will have to change ferry… 98% sure. 

Badge

Hi guys!

Thanks a lot for all the answer! In that case well try to just use one international day :)

I am just unsure wether we can use the pass foe our outbond journey as well (especially in Switzerland): https://www.interrail.eu/en/support/the-greek-islands-pass/outbound-inbound-international-journeys-with-the-6-day-greek-isl

I find the informations on this site a bit confusing. Does anyone know more?

Greetings Dani

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I would understand the information there that way that you are allowed to make two international journeys (=use the ferry between Greece and Italy or reverse one time each).

At least this phrase makes me think like that:

You're entitled to 2 international journeys with your 6-day Greek Islands Pass; one journey to enter Greece and one to leave Greece. 

So suppose you’ll need a separate ticket for the trip from Switzerland to the port in Italy and back.
Maybe someone from the support can clarify this 100% for sure.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I am just unsure wether we can use the pass foe our outbond journey as well (especially in Switzerland): https://www.interrail.eu/en/support/the-greek-islands-pass/outbound-inbound-international-journeys-with-the-6-day-greek-isl

I find the informations on this site a bit confusing. Does anyone know more?

It's simple: the 6-day Greek Islands pass is only valid on Greek domestic ferries and on ferries between Italy and Greece. The only train that can be used is the one between (Patra -) Kiato and Piraeus.

It looks like they use the outbound/inbound mechanism in the app to manage the 2 travel days on the ferries Italy-Greece.

Badge

A big thanks to all of you! In that case I have to buy a ordinary ticket then :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There are usually cheap advance tickets from Domodossola or Chiasso on trenitalia.com :)

For the Swiss leg you may have the half-fare card and there are often Supersaver tickets too.

It may be cheaper than a Basel - Ancona on trenitalia.com or SBB, double check !

Badge

Maybe we will get a global pass to cover the journey to Italy

Badge
  • deleted
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Maybe we will get a global pass to cover the journey to Italy

You can of course. :)

Remember the mandatory seat reservation costs in Italy :

- 13€ Frecciarossa

- 3€ IC trains

The EC between Switzerland also cost 10€, however you can easily avoid it. Take any train to Lugano and switch to the RE to Milan.

Those reservations are best bought on tickets.oebb.at (no booking fee) : add Interrail as a discount and select one-way tickets.