By train from Amsterdam to Stornoway. What is possible?

I bought a railwaypass yesterday. My plan is to travel by train from Amsterdam to Stornoway. Anyone has experienced what is possible by train and ferry? 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I bought a railwaypass yesterday. My plan is to travel by train from Amsterdam to Stornoway. Anyone has experienced what is possible by train and ferry? 

Well, I haven’t been there but a quick research says that you can’t get there by train+ferry only. You will need a bus somewhere in between to link you with the ferry in Ullapool to Stornoway. E.g. from Inverness there should run some Citylink busses.

The way to Inverness from Amsterdam can be done by train only or also by train+ferry combo.
You can go with the Eurostar (reservation needed) to London or the ferry from Hoek van Holland (only discount with Railpass) to Harwich and then continue by train from one of those two places to Inverness.
For connections best to check with nationalrail or also German railways website should be able to provide the timetable.

Thanks Martin!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Er gaan ook nachttreinen (engels, dus niet za/zo nacht) als sleeper.scot van LON naar de grote steden in Scotland-en zelfs de zijlijn tot Fort William. MAAR die willen niet hun reclining seats aan passholders wegdoen en een sleeper-bed kost minstens 120gbp.

Renate Dorrestein was zeer verliefd geworden op die islands en vele van haar boeken handelen er-met soms akelig bloedstollende thema. Geniet ervan om in de stemming te geraken erheen

Er gaan ook nachttreinen (engels, dus niet za/zo nacht) als sleeper.scot van LON naar de grote steden in Scotland-en zelfs de zijlijn tot Fort William. MAAR die willen niet hun reclining seats aan passholders wegdoen en een sleeper-bed kost minstens 120gbp.

Renate Dorrestein was zeer verliefd geworden op die islands en vele van haar boeken handelen er-met soms akelig bloedstollende thema. Geniet ervan om in de stemming te geraken erheen

Dank je, ik denk - na vandaag pogingen te achterhalen hoe precies in Ullapool vanaf Londen te komen - dat het zomaar bloedstollend spannend kan gaan worden, haha..