Solved

Can you go to two countries in one travel day? And suggestions for Berlin to London and back route.

• 20 October 2021
  • 3 replies

First time Interrail user!
1. I want to travel to the UK from Germany (where I live), and my intention is to travel to Brussels, then to London (via the Eurostar) on the same day - or does the Eurostar count as one travel day on its own?

2. And also, can I take any route from Berlin to Brussels? IE, could I go from Berlin to Dortmund, stay there for a few hours, then go from Dortmund to Cologne, Cologne to Brussels, or must I take the most direct route?

3. And finally (sorry for all the questions!), I was thinking of going to Brussels one way, and to Amsterdam or Paris on the way back from London via the Eurostar - any suggestions for best route?

I’m trying to plan the quickest/cheapest but most fun way to go back to the UK, and deciding on whether to book the Interrail or individual tickets!
Thanks in advance!!

icon

Best answer by seewulf 20 October 2021, 15:30

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

1. The entire trip is one days aslong you dont change trains after midnight :) 

2. Yes you can take any route be carefull Cologne - Brussels you can use ICE (no reservation needed but possible) and Thalys with 30€ per seat compulsory reservation :) no need to use the direct way :D 

3. As French Highspeed trains are reservation compulsory i recommend Amsterdam as stop over from there you have a direct ICE to Cologne/Frankfurt or IC to Osnabrück/Hannover/Berlin 

Back in 2019 

I started at 00.40 from Berlin with Night ICE to Cologne from there with ICE to Brussels, Eurostar to London arrival at 11am :D 

And did then a waitingtime reducing trip via York - Manchester to London and catch finally the Nighttrain to Inverness 

This all was just one travelday of my Interrailpass 🙂 and i paid only for Eurostar and Nighttrain reservation. 

Wow, that’s one hell of a journey! I’ll be heading up to Liverpool, but think I’ll stop overnight in London!
Thank you so much for your reply, this is very helpful!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

As iam enjoying traveling by rail its no problem ;) but 7days on one train (Moscow - Vladiwostok) would be to long 🤣🤣