Dolomites by train

• 28 December 2023
  • 2 replies

We are planning a trip in 2024 (end of May to beginning of June) and this will be our first time visiting Europe so I’m quite a newbie when it comes to planning. I know the train schedules aren’t all out for that period of time however I have been basing myself off of March dates hoping it does not vary too much when the time comes. However, I have noticed you can only get trains to and from the Dolomites on Saturdays… is that always the case? I was hoping to only spend 3 days in the Italian alps not a full week… is this a possibility? Ideally we would be coming from lake como and then departing the alps to go to Switzerland.

2 replies

In fact there are about 100 trains every day to go to this area. On the edge of the dolomites there’s one of the main railroad lines between Austria and Italy. Maybe you are thinking of a specific place where you’d like to go? But it’s no problem to get to this (very large) area multiple times every day of the week. 

For advice, you should tell the community where you’d like to go exactly…

But I assume you had a look at one of the villages without a train station that see a twice weekly ski bus (not: train) connection in winter provided by Trenitalia (e.g. to Canazei, Selva Valgardena, Madonna di Campiglio or Cortina d'Ampezzo) and that’s why you won’t find a connection at the end of May / beginning of June (the winter season is over). Because timetables for spring are already available...

To give you an idea: Como to the main town at the edge of the Dolomites is about 4 and a half hour by train. (And Como is just a six minute train ride from the swiss border BTW.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Maybe you are looking for Cortina d'Ampezzo or Selva Valgardena? They are linked by bus (FL - Freccialink) from Venice or Bolzano station to the place in the Dolomites only on saturdays. But there are local services that run every day more times a day. But not included in Eurail/Interrail.