Fire in night train

• 4 April 2023
  • 4 replies

My family and I just had a horrible night on a nightjet from Amsterdam to Zurich. At 4am we were awoken to the fire alarm and smoke in the sleeper coming from right under our room

Evacuated to normal seats in our bedclothes. Not the best nights sleep I have ever had! Anyone else ever experienced something similar? It was pretty terrifying. 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Probably not, incidents like these are very, very rare luckily and pretty terrifying indeed.

Out of curiosity, did you get compensated in one way or another?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I think you can get a refund for these sleeper/couchette reservations.

So I got a refund for full cost of sleeper car. We were due 50 percent anyway for being more than 2 hours late. Also gave us 20 euro voucher each.

We spent the following day feeling quite ill and not Leaving our accommodation. Some after effect of smoke inhalation combined with tiredness. They said they could not compensate for that. Seemed to think not liable to refund anything more than the seat cost for the incident..

Looking back quite shocked we never got any medical check up after the incident. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Evacuated to normal seats in our bedclothes. Not the best nights sleep I have ever had! Anyone else ever experienced something similar? It was pretty terrifying. 

I've been disturbed and felt rubbish after most night trains I've taken tbh, including... getting asked to vacate our carriages on the way to Syracuse (for the duration of the section that the train goes on the ferry, early hours of the morning when you want to be tucked up), and had other people sitting in my bed for the entirety of a trip albeit in 3rd class to Jaipur! I suppose they make for good stories rather than good sleeps. 

Never been in an incident like yours though, and thank gosh it didn't get worse and you're safe. I hope you and your family are all feeling better now.