going through France

• 8 December 2021
  • 4 replies

Hello! 
We are looking at going from Barcelona to Amsterdam making two stops in France. We want to visit two cities which is not Paris and was wondering what your recommendations are? 
cheers!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Strasbourg together with Colmar (easy connection to Amsterdam via Karlsruhe and ICE :) )

Avignon with a daytrip to Marseille ;) (usually one direct Thalys to Amsterdam in Summer) otherwise direct TGV´s to Brussels and then with reservation free IC further to Amsterdam :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Avignon with a daytrip to Marseille 😉 (usually one direct Thalys to Amsterdam in Summer)

I’ve got a feeling the Interrail pass might not be valid on these special ‘Thalys Sun’ long-distance services, but can’t remember where I heard this. Hope I’m wrong though!

Strasbourg is an excellent shout, but to avoid expensive reservation fees, make sure you cross the border on a regional train. By far the easiest way to do this to get to Amsterdam is to take a mid-afternoon regional train to Offenburg, then change onto the daily direct ICE from there to Amsterdam, which arrives around 10PM.

With France, many non-high-speed lines only see very slow and infrequent service, but if you don’t mind the inconvenience of a few long changes, there are some great secondary cities to see off the beaten track, like Albi for instance:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Avignon with a daytrip to Marseille 😉 (usually one direct Thalys to Amsterdam in Summer)

I’ve got a feeling the Interrail pass might not be valid on these special ‘Thalys Sun’ long-distance services, but can’t remember where I heard this. Hope I’m wrong though!

You're correct. There is no pass fare for Sun Thalys (or Snow Thalys):

https://public-pf.b-europe.com/nl/Producten/Details?id=c597a98b-d445-43d0-93d1-c1f304657f30

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Thanks for that Info i messed up as i could use it with FIP i assumed Interrail/Eurail will be possible to :)

Means for Thalys count´s the same as for Eurostar  the Pass is onthem valid just on the “Normal Services” to Paris :/