Hostel recommendations North Macedonia, Kosovo, Albania

• 21 June 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hello TravelLovers

Soon I will start my trip and I am looking for some recommendations of cool, social hostels for solo travellers. Best with a nice common area like a Bar, and perhaps some organized activities.

I will stay in following cities:

Skopje

Pristina

Prizren

Shkodra

Tirana

Pogradec

Ohrid

Struga

I am looking forward to check out your recommodations

Cheers

4 replies

HeyHave you found good hostels and do you have recommendations for good train connections in this area?GreetingsEmma
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
HeyHave you found good hostels and do you have recommendations for good train connections in this area?GreetingsEmma

Sure, in some places. About which cities do you want to get an recommendation?

I couldnt ride many trains, since there are not many at all, and also of the ones that should be, only few operated. In each countries, I could do exactly one train trip:

Skopje → Veles

Elbasan → Durres

Peja → Pristina

For Macedonia ask mztransportad@mztransportad.com.mk

For Albania, don’t go for official website, its outdated, ask this guy in insta, he can provide you with most up to date information: https://www.instagram.com/ride_albanian_rails/?hl=de

For Kosovo, I have no contact, unfortunately.

Thank you very much, that helps me !

Maybe you have recommendations for Skopje and Shkodra?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Thank you very much, that helps me !

Maybe you have recommendations for Skopje and Shkodra?

Sure.

Shokdra: I guess you already heard about the beautiful hike Valbona-Theth. Do it! You can start in the morning in Shkodra, then by bus and beautiful ferry over Koman River to Valbona. Stay there for the night (or directly start the hike if the weather on the next time is bad. I did it, but since you are there only at 1300, its not the best idea to start a 6-8h hike except you really need to).

After the hike you can stay another night in Theth or directly go back. There is no regular bus between Theth and Shkodra but countless inofficial ones and private people that drive you for 10€.

I stayed in Mi Casa es Tu Casa - Shkodra Backpackers Hostel. It was very nice, except the dogs that walk there around freely. I am afraid of dogs and wasn’t aware of that.

In Skopje, visit the cross for good view (maybe the cablecar is not running, and also not the busses..). And go to Matka canyon, but I guess you already knew that ones. Visit the railway station, also if you don’t take a train. It is faszinating! Like a half lost place. I stayed in Get Inn Hostel. It was a very nice, social one.