Solved

Is Vaduz counting to Austria?

• 12 July 2022
  • 8 replies

I would like to visit Vaduz tomorrow. I am from Austria and already used my home-country-travel day today. Now it says in my Interrail App that Vaduz is part of Austria instead of Liechtenstein. Does it mean i would need to use again my home-country-ticket? Or is it a mistake?

icon

Best answer by Angelo 12 July 2022, 15:22

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@rvdborgt @seewulf 

If Lichtenstein not is a country of its own in Interrail terms, shouldn't it be a part of Switzerland and not Austria?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@AnnaB For railways Lichtenstein is part of Austria, because the trains and the rail line is of ÖBB and not SBB. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@clara811 also when you are traveling to a other country you have to use a Outbound/Inbound day (you write home-country-ticket) if you start your trip goes via Austria. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@AnnaB For railways Lichtenstein is part of Austria, because the trains and the rail line is of ÖBB and not SBB. 

Thanks 🌞 @Angelo 

Lichtenstein is indeed an interesting country. Swiss money, their own stamps and Austrian railway.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

A separate bought on the spot ticket to LIE/Vaduz is certainly much cheaper as a fill ticket to get home at end, I guess? There are also special daytickets on this area-for 2 or 3 countries. And the Postbus (yes, yellow, from Swiss) makes a frequent run via LIE between 2 Swiss stops-they also sued to have quite low fares to stimulate using transport-but it would no Lie´er make using them much.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If Lichtenstein not is a country of its own in Interrail terms, shouldn't it be a part of Switzerland and not Austria?

The railways in Liechtenstein are operated by ÖBB, Austrian railways. For the tariff, ÖBB fares are even valid until Buchs in Switserland.

But according to the Interrail conditions of use, you should be able to visit Liechtenstein, since it is not your country of residence. I'd say enter a manual journey and place the Liechtenstein station in Liechtenstein (the country is listed in the dropdown).

By the way, it may be faster to use a bus from Buchs anyway. There are frequent services to Vaduz from there (assuming this is where you want to go). Timetables are in sbb.ch. Station Schaan-Vaduz is not close to Vaduz.

@Jody I think this is an error in the app. Liechtenstein stations should be placed in Liechtenstein.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Thanks 🌞 @Angelo 

Lichtenstein is indeed an interesting country. Swiss money, their own stamps and Austrian railway.

@AnnaB  Because of History :) 

Many years Lichtenstein was a close nation to Austria because of that a Austrian Railway got the license to build the Rail there. Over the years Liechtenstein thought it would be better to become close with Switzerland. Now we have these strange mix in Liechtenstein Swiss Money , Swiss Customs Area, Austrian Railwaycompany, Prisoners get a free journey to the next Austrian Jail :D. It´s very funny how Liechtenstein solve many things. 

Only missing currently is a own National  Airport (they just have a Helipad) but inoffical the Airport next to Altenrhein is the “Home Airport of Liechtenstein” 

Thanks for all your answers!. In the end I took a bus to Vaduz and didn't risk to use my outbound travel.