Italy trip

• 2 August 2021
  • 8 replies

Hey, we are just starting our Italy Interrail trip, our first stop is Milano. 
Any tips where to go etc.?:)

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey!

You are asking about specific tips for Milano or in general?

About in general: main interrail stops are Firenze, Venezia, Cinque Terre (La Spezia), Roma, Napoli and/or Salerno.
From Salerno or Napoli you can get to the Amalfi coast. 

Other interesting stops (from the ones that I have visited):

• Daytrips from Roma: Tivoli, Orvieto, Caserta
  • Daytrips from Firenze: San Gimignano, Pisa, Siena, Lucca
  • Torino (+ mountains around like Aosta valley)
  • Trieste
  • Bari as a base with daytrips to Polignano a Mare, Alberobello, Matera, Lecce (for Matera I’d recommend to stay overnight there - magnificient)
  • Sicily (my favorites: Catania, Ragusa, Taormina)
  • Taranto I also liked
  • Assisi & Perugia
  • in the North: Padova, Verona, Bergamo, Dolomites, Lakes near Milano

Nice train trips are especially Salerno-Reggio Calabria, Reggio Calabria-Taranto, Ligurian coast, Train ferry to Sicily

Enjoy your trip!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

In Milan - the cathedral is hugely impressive as is the Railway Station itself! 

If you are a football fan, you will want to visit the San Siro (M5 line) 

hi i was looking to travell from rome to milan( day 28/7/2022) and from milan to venice(day 30/7/2022). I noticed that the duration of each trip its more than 1 day. Is there any reaon why or is this normal?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

hi i was looking to travell from rome to milan( day 28/7/2022) and from milan to venice(day 30/7/2022). I noticed that the duration of each trip its more than 1 day. Is there any reaon why or is this normal?

1. Please use https://www.trenitalia.com/ to look up timetables in Italy. Many other planners (including the Interrail app and website) are incomplete.
  2. There's a small timetable change in on 12 June and the timetable for the period after that is still incomplete. Not much will change, so to get an idea, look at the same day of the week before 12 June.
Userlevel 3
Badge

We spent a month in Italy on a two month trip, we just came home. We love Italy! History, culture, food, etc.

We were in Sicily for two weeks, for the first time in our lives. 

The enchantment of Florence does not disappear, always a wonderful city. Rome, of course. Along the way we looked for Caravaggio paintings, Rome has the most. Grazzie mille, Itälia!

1. Please use https://www.trenitalia.com/ to look up timetables in Italy. Many other planners (including the Interrail app and website) are incomplete.
  2. There's a small timetable change in on 12 June and the timetable for the period after that is still incomplete. Not much will change, so to get an idea, look at the same day of the week before 12 June.

Thank you so much, I’ve looked up in trenitalia but seems that they don’t have a timetable for those days too. Do you have any ideia when will the timetable be completed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you so much, I’ve looked up in trenitalia but seems that they don’t have a timetable for those days too. Do you have any ideia when will the timetable be completed?

That's why I suggested to look for a timetable before 12 June…

The Summer timetable will probably be completed 1-2 months before 12 June, with the long-distance trains coming in first and the regional trains later.

That's why I suggested to look for a timetable before 12 June…

The Summer timetable will probably be completed 1-2 months before 12 June, with the long-distance trains coming in first and the regional trains later.

Thank you so much ☺️