Itinerary ideas (Hamburg, Poznan, Warszawa, Łódź, Krakow, Brno, Prague, Dresden)

• 21 December 2022
  • 8 replies

We have a rough itinerary round now:

4 nights in Hamburg (that long because we celebrate NYE there)
1 night in Poznan
3 nights in Warszawa 
2 nights in Łódź
2 nights in Krakow
2 nights in Brno
2 nights in Prague 
2 nights in Dresden 

Would you say from experience that some cities need more or some need less time? And do you have any tips for nice restaurants/bars/museums/clubs for any of the cities mentioned? 

Thanks! 

8 replies

Badge +5

It’s all very subjective and. I haven’t visited all these places however I think Prague needs more time. I’ve been there a few times and there is a lot to see and do. In respect of restaurants they are only as good as their last meal but my rule of thumb is if it’s full of locals stay. If it’s full of visitors leave! Trip Advisor might be a guide but use common sense as reviews can’t be verified.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In respect of restaurants they are only as good as their last meal but my rule of thumb is if it’s full of locals stay. If it’s full of visitors leave!

Very true!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Voor Brno kom je netjes toe met twee dagen. Voor Praag vest wat meer dagen rekenen, zeker als je de minder toeristische delen goed wil beleven.

Dresden, met twee nachten kun je het centrum van de stad zelf prima ontdekken. Als je wat meer van het buitengebieden en de streek errond wil ontdekken (Saksische Schweiz bvb) dan is het zeker aangeraden wat meer dagen te blijven. 

​​​​​Buiten Hamburg, heb ik de rest heb ik nog niet bezocht. 

Voor Dresden kun je zeker café Europa eens checken voor het ontbijt. Heel Neustadt, zeker net ten zuiden van het Alaunpark heb je tal van leuke bars en restaurants met veel locals.

De rest heb ik nog niet bezocht, of is het te lang geleden om goeie tips te geven :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Skip LOdz, stay longer in Krk and Prahy. Brno-was there again 1 night late oct and frankly, skipping it is also a good idea-stay/try Olomouc, is also better situated for shorter trip times -on main line z Krk do Prahy. I think that issue of restrts if often grossly overhyped and overdone-advice where the locals eat is often also hardly practic-they tend to eat at quite other times over there as you are used to- a big hot meal for lunch @ 11.00 with soup-meat+large beer etc is often the norm. For you its only cf-time.

If not fancy resrtr is wanted: in PL you can often see restrt where you ´pay by the kilo´=the weight, you choose yourself what you put on your plate.

Look for denny menu for 99 CzK for best value offers-set fixed meal, 2 or 3 courses.

You make many trips IN PL=a pass is bad value there-local fares, certainly if booked fixed advacne is often a lot cheaper.

You make many trips IN PL=a pass is bad value there-local fares, certainly if booked fixed advacne is often a lot cheaper.

Thank you for your elaborate response! We decided to skip Łódź and stay one extra night in Warsaw and Prague. Furthermore we got the summer deal continuous pass so I think we still get value for our money. After all, it’s not about getting as much value out as possible, but seeing the nicest places imo :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I see you have only cities in your itinerary, I’d suggest you to also visit some nice nature places if the weather allows. Dresden would be a good place for this - you can head to Saxony Switzerland. Every 30mins a S-Bahn goes there.

3 nights in Warsaw are too much IMO. I’d make it 2 nights Warsaw and 3 nights Krakow for example. In Krakow you can make excursions to Auschwitz and Wieliczka (by train). And for partying it is also good and lots of tourists there.
Lodz is indeed nothing special - but the annual Light Move Festival (if it survived Corona) is pretty nice (but takes place in October). 
Poznan for one night is alright. 

From Prague you can make a daytrip to Karlstejn. Liked that place and also alright in winter to visit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Since you have a continuous pass, consider a few days in Nuremberg and then ICE and regional trains for day trips. Bavaria has several great towns and cities (inc Munich) within easy reach - Nuremberg also has the DBahn museum right next to the station. It is much more reasonably priced than Munich.

There are several hotels in easy walking from the station, which is directly opposite the city centre. We stayed in the IBIS hauptbahnof, about 5 mins walk to both station and city centre.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Skip LOdz, stay longer in Krk and Prahy. Brno-was there again 1 night late oct and frankly, skipping it is also a good idea-stay/try Olomouc, is also better situated for shorter trip times -on main line z Krk do Prahy. I think that issue of restrts if often grossly overhyped and overdone-advice where the locals eat is often also hardly practic-they tend to eat at quite other times over there as you are used to- a big hot meal for lunch @ 11.00 with soup-meat+large beer etc is often the norm. For you its only cf-time.

Look for denny menu for 99 CzK for best value offers-set fixed meal, 2 or 3 courses.

As I live in Praha (not PrahY) I want to put this info right:

Lunch is definitely not at 11 am. More likely 12:00 or a bit later. Soup+meat+large beer??? Certainly not the norm.

And good luck finding a menu (denní menu) for 99 Czk. 2-3 courses for this price- absolutely no way, even for 1 course you will have problems finding it, the info above is ridiculous. Also, prices of mostly everything in Czechia have increased by 20-30% or more and people on a tight budget might face a nasty surprise.