Norway to Bulgaria 2 month route feedback, need to remove some stops.

• 29 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Hey!

I’m trying to plan my next years trip, I will probably start in April and go until early June to avoid the summer rush of travelers. I think I’ve got a couple of stops too many, but I’m not sure what more to remove. So I’d love feedback if there’s any cities I could remove without missing too much.

I love unique tours and just drinking beer at new places haha. I feel like the highlight of my trip will be the Balkans, and not the western Europe. I’ve done two other interrails over a span of 40 days each trip, and I cant really do a lot of 1-2 night stops as its impossible for me to take the train/bus hangover lol. I’ve got 10 travel days and plan to use it for the western Europe and just pay for the bus/train in Balkan without the pass.

If you guys think all of my stops are worth visiting, I might just skip Stockholm, Copenhagen, Hamburg and fly from Trondheim to Amsterdam and start there? And I can save these cities for a another time.

My itenary so far is

Start Trondheim
Stockholm 3 nights
Copenhagen 3 nights
Hamburg 2 nights
Rotterdam 2 nights
Luxembourg 2 nights
Bern 3 nights
Zurich 2-3 nights
Munich 3 nights
Innsbruck 2 nights
Ljubljana 2 nights
Zagreb 2 nights
Novi Sad 3 nights
Belgrade 4-5 nights to relax abit
Sarajevo 3-4 nights
Mostar 3-4 nights
Kotor 1 night
Budva 3-4 nights
Podgorcia 2-3 nights
Shkoder 2 nights
Durres stopover 0 nights
Tirana 5-6 nights to relax
Ohrid 2 nights
Skopje 3-4 nights
Sofia 3-4 nights

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

In Scandinavia and Northern Europe, you risk bad weather in April. Not guaranteed, of course, but you should be prepared for cold and grey.

(Edit: just realised you’re from Norway, so you probably know what weather to expect in April!)

In fact I might consider doing this trip South to North. You’re more likely to get better weather that way.

You have a lot of 2-nighters. I would be tempted to skip a few cities and have more 3 nighters.

I haven’t been to many of those cities, but I loved Mostar. It was a while ago that I was in Tirana - I’m not sure it would be the star city in a trip(!), but perhaps you have other reasons to spend a lot of time there.

Great craft beer bars in Bern on Rathausgasse, and Bern is a gorgeous city.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you haven't been to Prague, I would add that to the list. A beautiful city with good beer. In fact the only place where I can consider drinking beer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you haven't been to Prague, I would add that to the list. A beautiful city with good beer. In fact the only place where I can consider drinking beer.

You may want to visit Belgium :)

Yeah I’ve been there and I love the city.

I added  +/- 3 days in Brussels, and a layover/daystop in Liechtenstein. And removed Hamburg, Zurich, Innsbruck, and Sofia. Might remove Munich too. I think I could easily spend a month or two in Swiss alone so I’ll do that next time. Also added a day in Rotterdam and Luxembourg. I think the trip will be somewhat manageable now.